You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-07 18:25:29

ua4000

Trash won't work with PcManFM inside BTRFS subvolume ?

I have a BTRFS partion, deleting files works fine with PcManFM: files are move to .Trash-1000.
If .Trash-1000 doesn't exists it's recreated in the toplevel on this filesystem.

But:
if I create a subvolume on that same filesystem, and try to delete anything inside it I get:

Some files cannot be moved to trash can because the underlying file systems don't support this operation. Do you want to delete them instead?

Also .Trash-1000 is not created in this subvolume.

* Problem also with PcmanFM QT
* trash-put works fine
* I'm not really sure, but in the past (2 month ago) I noticed no problems

Anyone has noticed this too ? Any hints to debug further ? Which package is the main suspect ?

Thanks very much.

#2 2018-12-09 19:16:53

jwhendy

Re: Trash won't work with PcManFM inside BTRFS subvolume ?

Posting that I'm experiencing issues as well. I found a lot of misleading posts that I don't think are the problem. I'm also on btrfs, both for root along with a separate subvol that I use to share data between OSs. My setup:
- a single disk, with boot partition and a single btrfs pool for the rest
- btrfs subvols for arch, ubuntu xenial, ubuntu bionic, and one for shared data
- running arch, I have subvol=arch mounted to / and the shared data mounted to /mnt

I don't think I had any issues either, and only recently started getting popups on thunar asking if I wanted to permanently delete files. It occurs with or without a .Trash-1000 dir on the mounted subvol. Trash is working fine in my home directory, so I don't think this is about btrfs itself. I also confirm the same behavior exists with pcmanfm.

Have you confirmed the settings in pcmanfm: edit -> preferences -> uncheck 'Erase files on removable media instead of trash can creation'? Mine is unchecked and I still get the behavior. I ran into that mentioned HERE and some reported it fixed things for them so I wanted to mention it.

Last edited by jwhendy (2018-12-09 19:19:35)

#3 2018-12-09 19:56:41

jwhendy

Re: Trash won't work with PcManFM inside BTRFS subvolume ?

Update: I found this post which cited dolphin. I installed it and it successfully moves files from my /mnt subvol to ~/.local/share/Trash/files upon pressing delete. Not sure if this narrows down based on the underlying systems used by thunar/pcmanfm vs. dolphin?

Also, I found if of interest that ~/.Trash-uid gets mentioned, and I have this... but ~/.Trash-1000/files is empty whereas ~/.local/share/Trash/files is where everything appears to go (I see other recently deleted files as well as the test files from above there).

Board footer