You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-12 14:23:38

JustSomeGeek

Dependency chains?

Hi folks,

I'm getting the hang of using the AUR OK, but struggling to find out what to do when something relies on multiple dependencies.

eg: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xperia-flashtool/

I've installed all the dependencies, except libselinux, as this then needs a long list of it's own dependencies.

What's the correct way to go about doing all this? Or do I really have to go through each one individually just to get the original package up and running?

Thanks!

Apologies in advance for any RTFM things i've probably not seen

#2 2018-11-12 14:30:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Dependency chains?

libselinux is the *only* aur depdendency.  So just build and install libselinux first (install with --asdeps).  Then build and install xperia-flashtool with makepkg.

It sounds like you are not using makepkg's -s flag; you should be.  If you install dependencies manually it would be a PITA, and if you don't use the --asdeps flag for pacman when you do you might be gathering a lot of clutter if you attempt to remove any packages.

libselinux has one aur dependency, libsepol, and libsepol in turn has no AUR dependencies.  So build and install libsepol with `makepkg -si --asdeps` then libselinux with the same command, then lastly xperia-flashtool with `makepkg -si`.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-11-12 14:32:01)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-11-12 15:17:57

JustSomeGeek

Trilby wrote:

libselinux is the *only* aur depdendency.  So just build and install libselinux first (install with --asdeps).  Then build and install xperia-flashtool with makepkg.

It sounds like you are not using makepkg's -s flag; you should be.  If you install dependencies manually it would be a PITA, and if you don't use the --asdeps flag for pacman when you do you might be gathering a lot of clutter if you attempt to remove any packages.

libselinux has one aur dependency, libsepol, and libsepol in turn has no AUR dependencies.  So build and install libsepol with `makepkg -si --asdeps` then libselinux with the same command, then lastly xperia-flashtool with `makepkg -si`.

Ah. Sounds like I must have just been "lucky" enough to hit one of the exceptions then. I had a feeling this was what my Arch future was going to involve more often.

I've been using the -si flags, as per the AUR guide, for everything so far. If I understand it right, dependencies can be installed automatically from repos, if pacman can find them, but anything in the AUR has to be installed manually?

I'll install libsepol now. I didn't bother before, as I thought I was just going to end up going deeper into the rabbit hole. Thanks ! :-)

#4 2018-11-12 15:32:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

JustSomeGeek wrote:

I've been using the -si flags, as per the AUR guide, for everything so far. If I understand it right, dependencies can be installed automatically from repos, if pacman can find them, but anything in the AUR has to be installed manually?

Correct.

I don't know the numbers, but quite a large portion - likely a majority - of AUR packages only depend on repo packages: so `makepkg -si` is often sufficient.  But if there are AUR dependencies, you just need to build/install those first manually in the proper order.  Longer AUR-only dependency chains are exceedingly rare.

That said, if you regularly use/update AUR packages with their own AUR dependencies, you may benefit from an AUR helper, particularly one like aurutils which creates your own local repo, so once built and placed in the local repo, aur packages are seen just like main repo packages by makepkg/pacman.  Personally I have no use for such tools, but none of the AUR packages I use have aur-depenencies.

(edit: s/aurtools/aurutils/ - I had the wrong name for Alad's stuff)

Last edited by Trilby (2018-11-12 15:56:26)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-11-12 15:47:20

JustSomeGeek

Trilby wrote:
JustSomeGeek wrote:

Correct.

I don't know the numbers, but quite a large portion - likely a majority - of AUR packages only depend on repo packages: so `makepkg -si` is often sufficient.  But if there are AUR dependencies, you just need to build/install those first manually in the proper order.  Longer AUR-only dependency chains are exceedingly rare.

That said, if you regularly use/update AUR packages with their own AUR dependencies, you may benefit from an AUR helper, particularly one like aurtools which creates your own local repo, so once built and placed in the local repo, aur packages are seen just like main repo packages by makepkg/pacman.  Personally I have no use for such tools, but none of the AUR packages I use have aur-depenencies.

Great. Seems like i've been doing something right so far! I'm quite happy just using the command line and learning at the moment. I think adding any GUI tools will just show me more things that I don't need yet.

I seem to have it all installed OK. Just gotta work out how to start it now lol

Thanks for the help and info!

#6 2018-11-12 15:54:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

JustSomeGeek wrote:

I'm quite happy just using the command line and learning at the moment. I think adding any GUI tools will just show me more things that I don't need yet.

I applaud and support this approach.  Do not use an AUR helper unless it's necessary.  And even when necessary, there are many that obscure much of what is going on that should just never be used.

Aurutils, however, is not in this category.  It is not a gui, but rather a set of scripts that helps automate some of the repetative details of managing more complex aur packages such as the one in this thread.  So if you are comfortable without aurtools or any other helper, then keep going the way you are.  But using well written aur helpers is certainly in line with 'the arch way'.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-11-12 15:55:43)

#7 2018-11-12 20:27:20

JustSomeGeek

Trilby wrote:
JustSomeGeek wrote:

I'm quite happy just using the command line and learning at the moment. I think adding any GUI tools will just show me more things that I don't need yet.

I applaud and support this approach.  Do not use an AUR helper unless it's necessary.  And even when necessary, there are many that obscure much of what is going on that should just never be used.

Aurutils, however, is not in this category.  It is not a gui, but rather a set of scripts that helps automate some of the repetative details of managing more complex aur packages such as the one in this thread.  So if you are comfortable without aurtools or any other helper, then keep going the way you are.  But using well written aur helpers is certainly in line with 'the arch way'.

Scripting is something i've tinkered with since Amiga times anyway. I don't mind using other people's, as long as they aren't so complicated that I can't understand how, and why, they work. I'm surprised how easy, and quickly i've got used to CLI again. I'll go look up Aurutils anyway. Thanks!

Board footer