You are not logged in.

#26 2006-07-30 14:47:03

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: vanilla kernel with suspend2 support

brain0 wrote:

I switched to beyond with 2.6.16 and since then it was always unusable for me. With a vanilla kernel, suspend2 hasn't failed for me in a year or so. With beyond, it failed every time I really needed it.

And I'd already said:

dtw wrote:

Admittedly suspend2 may be _generally_ unstable with other patchsets

So, yeah, it seems it is generally unstable...not necessarily a -beyond issue though methinks but there we go.  If/when it gets merged hopefully things will improve.

Maybe a little patience would be great for this hot weather.

Not sure he has any.

#27 2006-07-30 16:04:51

brain0
Developer

dtw wrote:

So, yeah, it seems it is generally unstable...not necessarily a -beyond issue though methinks but there we go.  If/when it gets merged hopefully things will improve.

Not sure he has any.

So you are saying I should be PATIENT for a feature to become stable that already has been stable for over a year? Seriously, beyond is a regression, it breaks things instead of improving them - at least that is my experience. And yeah, maybe suspend2 is unstable with other patchsets. Then don't include it in other patchsets. It just looks like it has been included, patched up so that it compiles and never actually been tested in real life. But remember one thing: Just because something compiles does not mean that it works - especially not nothing as critical as software suspend.

As you repeated yourself, I will do so as well:
Name a beyond version that actually has usable, stable suspend2 support.

#28 2006-07-30 16:10:12

curana
Website

I just want to make clear here that my quote

was sent to djpharoah, not to brain0.

@brain0: Make this kernel for us! Im looking forward but I can wait a little wink Good luck!!! If u need somebody to check if the kernel works, I will try...

#29 2006-07-30 17:10:05

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

curana wrote:

I just want to make clear here that my quote

was sent to djpharoah, not to brain0.

I know!  And that's what I meant too.  Seems the red-mist clouded brain0's typing.

And yeah, maybe suspend2 is unstable with other patchsets. Then don't include it in other patchsets. It just looks like it has been included, patched up so that it compiles and never actually been tested in real life.

That's the crux of what I was saying...but then argueably it's a not a patchset maintainer issue but an issue related to the patches included.  Therefore if suspend2 is merged then the other patchsets stability alongside suspend2 _should_ improve.

I just think it is harsh to blame -beyond because suspend2 is screwed up for you personally.  Some people have had it working in with -beyond previously although recently it _has_ been completely broken.

So, yeah, maintain your micro patchset by all means if it makes you happy.

#30 2006-07-30 17:50:21

brain0
Developer

dtw wrote:

I just think it is harsh to blame -beyond because suspend2 is screwed up for you personally.

Well, I think about that sometimes. It may be harsh. But it is based on facts, I actually took the time and tried both beyond and my own kernel (which is based on tpowa's kernel26 and has almost the same configuration) and found beyond guilty. But then, the poll shows that SOME people seem to be fine with beyond and suspend2 - although they only voted, none of them has posted a comment about that (which I would appreciate).

#31 2006-07-30 18:04:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

I've only ever used suspend2 as part of a larger patchset - first -cko, then -archck, now -beyond. Right now, it's broken with -beyond, as everyone knows, but before that, the only problems I've had with it were traceable to something hardware-specific on my box, or mis-configuration by my own hand - the patches themselves worked fine.

(That's a comment without a vote, btw, just for perversity tongue ).

#32 2006-07-30 20:21:37

brain0
Developer

Ok, I put the following packages into community:

kernel26suspend2
rt2500-suspend2
nvidia-suspend2
ati-fglrx-suspend2
lirc-suspend2
madwifi-suspend2

Maybe I will do ndiswrapper as well, did I forget something?

The kernel only uses mkinitcpio for initrd generation. If you have any trouble, just report it to me or post it here.

#33 2006-07-30 22:04:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

brain0 wrote:

Maybe I will do ndiswrapper as well, did I forget something?

Depends how you look at it. iphitus provides 20 module packages for beyond, because they are also available for the stock kernel. OTOH, I provide two for kernel26ck, because they are the only ones that have been requested. It comes down to how much time you think you will have, and whether you think your kernel's users will be prepared to help you out by building some of the less popular modules themselves.

#34 2006-07-30 22:26:38

codemac
Website

o/

I'm using  it.

@dtw:  I totally agree with most of your points, but the reality is that many people use -beyond specifically because of suspend2, and could care less about the other patches, yet currently suspend in -beyond isn't that great.  So it is another micro patchset, sure, but it's one that will be used.

#35 2006-07-30 22:52:15

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

codemac wrote:

o/

I'm using  it.

@dtw:  I totally agree with most of your points, but the reality is that many people use -beyond specifically because of suspend2, and could care less about the other patches, yet currently suspend in -beyond isn't that great.  So it is another micro patchset, sure, but it's one that will be used.

Fair point...seems odd to me though then that anyone would use a whole patchset merely for one patch that could be applied using abs...

Isn't that the whole point _of_ abs?  Although I also concede that demand could necessitate a more complete approach.  Of course, it's moot once suspend2 is merged but until then... wink

#36 2006-07-31 02:37:21

djpharoah

Absolutely brilliant. Exactly what I have been looking for for the past 3 months.

No issues what so ever. Thanks to codemac for his help too.

IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

#37 2006-07-31 03:38:35

karsten

works for me too, thanks smile

djpharoah wrote:

Absolutely brilliant. Exactly what I have been looking for for the past 3 months.

No issues what so ever. Thanks to codemac for his help too.

Board footer