You are not logged in.

#26 2006-07-05 17:48:07

brain0
Developer

Re: Why doesn't ARCH have a Handbook ?

Dusty wrote:

I don't get what the fuss is about, why not just create a new wiki page, call it 'handbook' and start writing and maintaining it. Link into or copy from existing wiki pages as needed, etc. Nothing to get excited about on either side.

Dusty

Ya, good idea.

Whoever does this, keep in mind that mediawiki has subpages. So you can create the TOC on Handbook and start with Handbook/Introduction or Handbook/Hardware/Wireless LAN.

#27 2006-07-18 18:40:14

djpharoah

Coming from Gentoo I was kinda hoping for a guide book. However for the last couple of years of me using gentoo I used custom installations for my gentoo.

But it definitely couldnt hurt Arch to have a guidebook. I mean there should be something in there to get you going to a full GUI. I didnt need it because I printed off the relevant stuff from the wiki...but some ppl who are new to linux/arch might benefit.

The only drawback is that it needs to be in sync with the wiki or else it will flop.

IBM T41p - 2373-xXx - kernel26thinkpad

#28 2006-08-01 13:12:55

KerowynM

Fine, make some document and call it the handbook, just make sure it gives links to the wiki and forums.

A handbook isn't going to give anybody more information, and certainly not up to date information.  It's just a security blanket.  "I have the book so I'm ok."  The book has already been written.  Change the title if it makes you feel better but arch already has an install guide.  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … stallation

#29 2006-08-01 13:54:35

allucid

Why not create a handbook using the wiki? All the information that is in the wiki now is kind of scattered about. A handbook could be a re-organizing and extension of the existing wiki.

#30 2006-08-01 21:06:00

scarney

why not just get together and clean up and organize the wiki?.. the wiki is great, but needs to be maintained. i like the idea of a handbook.. as long as its maintained aswell. a handbook would be great for those with only one computer.  so they can print it up before commiting to an install. being a newb, i found it a bit of a pain to dig through the wiki during my first (several) installs heh. luckily though, i have a couple rigs, where i could look at the wiki while installing. the installation guide works well only for the initial install and pacman updating.

#31 2006-08-02 18:58:53

sweiss

A handbook is always good.
You're not always sure what you're looking for. A handbook can also show you features that would otherwise not be discovered, even though it can make your life easier.

Also a wiki is online. What if getting online is the actual problem you are facing? Speaking of which, are the installation docs available from the installation CD?

Anyway, I think it's a good idea.

Board footer