You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-01 22:34:49

Stewart Little

Security updates on packages

I think this is the correct section, I was wondering, according to some news reports circulating on the web when looking up Linux news a lot of articles occasionally state that a 3 year old bug was found and hadn't have been spotted for years which apparently left systems vulnerable how fast are Arch's security team detecting those bugs which were reported, once security bugs have been found and squashed are they then published upstream I've been looking through the security section on the Arch website and would love feedback in this should I be worried about these security issues or not since the team are usually fast in fixing these issues.

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2018-12-01 22:50:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Security updates on packages

You can subscribe to the ML if you want to track issues: https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-security/

tl;dr fast

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-12-01 23:50:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Stewart Little wrote:

how fast are Arch's security team detecting those bugs

In every case where I've heard anything on the news or even on tech-related blogs/websites and major security issues, I've checked and the arch repos had had the patched version for some time.

So how fast are they?  Faster than the popular press.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2018-12-01 23:53:28

Stewart Little

Trilby wrote:
Stewart Little wrote:

how fast are Arch's security team detecting those bugs

In every case where I've heard anything on the news or even on tech-related blogs/websites and major security issues, I've checked and the arch repos had had the patched version for some time.

So how fast are they?  Faster than the popular press.

That's what I thought and I did hear somewhere on the Arch site relating to this topic that mentioned about the press spouting about these security bugs and someone stating that Arch had them fixed long before they discovered it but can't find which section I've read it in it may have been planet.archlinux.org or this forum but not sure.

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer