You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-29 15:33:37

subatomic

why is wpa_supplicant built w/o madwifi?

I've been sitting here all day trying to get wpa built (by the way, could someone correct the wiki?)
after getting my sources and config file in the right place so the build at least starts with no errors, I still get this:

make: *** [driver_madwifi.o] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

what am I doing wrong?

#2 2006-07-29 18:19:38

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: why is wpa_supplicant built w/o madwifi?

How on earth would we know based on the information you have given?  Likewise how can we correct a wiki, when we don't know what's "wrong"?

#3 2006-07-29 18:36:52

codemac
Website

You are gonna need to paste a lot more of the errors, besides just "ERROR: Build Failed."

#4 2006-07-30 09:11:19

subatomic

there were no more errors - the build process stopped there. this was apparently because the madwifi source was not found.

as far as the wiki goes, it "assumes" that madwifi was built from abs. what about those who have installed madwifi from the current repo? downloading the sources? it also fails entirely to say where to put the config file or that it needs to be renamed .config - here it just makes a cool reference to the wpa_supplicant README. I believe in this case the wiki could be more descriptive for archusers.

in addition I copied the wpa_supplicant.conf example from the wiki to edit and should mention that it is not closed properly - the closing ) should be }

moreover it was the PKGBUILD that gave me trouble

build() {
  cd ${startdir}/src/
  mv madwifi-$_madwifi_ver madwifi
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  cp ../config ./.config

this first moved madwifi but then couldn't find the config. then I got the config in the right place, but the next time it couldn't find madwifi because it had already moved it! so I had to mv everything back. in the end I just put it where it all belongs myself and edited out those two lines.

at any rate wpa is up and working now and I apologize to anyone in my immediate neighborhood who were subjected to my cussin'.

#5 2006-07-30 09:27:31

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

OK - apart from syntax errors in the wiki your problems are all user error:
1) If you haven't built madwifi using abs then obviously you can't use the instructions provided, which are an EXAMPLE.  Of course you could just switch to the madwifi abs folder and run makepkg just to get the source in place.
2)  The wpa_supplicant PKGBUILD is perfectly correct.  The base dir contains the file config file, which is listed in the PKGBUILD src...this willl thus be copied to ../src and will be moved to the correct filename by the cp command.  Simple.
3) As far as it already being there...it's very hard for makepkg to account for every eventuality when you rebuild a pkg that failed to build.  Anything that uses a patch command, for example, would spew all sorts of errors in such a situation.  It's up to you to know how makepkg works and account for such issues.

Please if the wiki syntax errors that you describe and feel free to improve the wiki.  That's why we have a wiki.

#6 2006-08-01 15:40:39

mallow005

I just had my struggle with wpa as well.

I tried installing it after modifying the config, only makepkg gives me a validity error when it tries to check the checksum of the config! I just ended up taking that part out of the PKGBUILD, I also took out the part where it installs the gui and the qt dependency. I hope that doesn't break anything. I haven't got it working yet though.

oops, spoke too soon. Here is what makepkg gave when it tried compiling the madwifi.o

driver_madwifi.c:31:28: error: include/compat.h: No such file or directory
driver_madwifi.c:32:32: error: net80211/ieee80211.h: No such file or directory
driver_madwifi.c:38:39: error: net80211/ieee80211_crypto.h: No such file or directory
driver_madwifi.c:39:38: error: net80211/ieee80211_ioctl.h: No such file or directory
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'set80211priv':
driver_madwifi.c:102: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:102: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
driver_madwifi.c:102: error: for each function it appears in.)
driver_madwifi.c:103: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_CHANLIST' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'set80211param':
driver_madwifi.c:143: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_set_wpa_ie':
driver_madwifi.c:163: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETOPTIE' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_del_key':
driver_madwifi.c:174: error: storage size of 'wk' isn't known
driver_madwifi.c:180: error: 'IEEE80211_ADDR_LEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:182: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_DELKEY' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_set_key':
driver_madwifi.c:192: error: storage size of 'wk' isn't known
driver_madwifi.c:214: error: 'IEEE80211_CIPHER_WEP' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:218: error: 'IEEE80211_CIPHER_TKIP' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:222: error: 'IEEE80211_CIPHER_AES_CCM' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:247: error: 'IEEE80211_KEY_RECV' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:250: error: 'IEEE80211_KEY_GROUP' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:252: error: 'IEEE80211_KEY_XMIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:252: error: 'IEEE80211_KEY_DEFAULT' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:253: error: 'IEEE80211_ADDR_LEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:261: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETKEY' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_set_countermeasures':
driver_madwifi.c:269: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_COUNTERMEASURES' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted':
driver_madwifi.c:278: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_DROPUNENCRYPTED' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_deauthenticate':
driver_madwifi.c:285: error: storage size of 'mlme' isn't known
driver_madwifi.c:288: error: 'IEEE80211_MLME_DEAUTH' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:290: error: 'IEEE80211_ADDR_LEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:291: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_disassociate':
driver_madwifi.c:298: error: storage size of 'mlme' isn't known
driver_madwifi.c:301: error: 'IEEE80211_MLME_DISASSOC' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:303: error: 'IEEE80211_ADDR_LEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:304: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_associate':
driver_madwifi.c:312: error: storage size of 'mlme' isn't known
driver_madwifi.c:335: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_PRIVACY' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:339: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_WPA' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:348: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_ROAMING' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:359: error: 'IEEE80211_MLME_ASSOC' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:360: error: 'IEEE80211_ADDR_LEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:361: error: 'IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_set_auth_alg':
driver_madwifi.c:377: error: 'IEEE80211_AUTH_AUTO' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:379: error: 'IEEE80211_AUTH_SHARED' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:381: error: 'IEEE80211_AUTH_OPEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:383: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_AUTHMODE' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_init':
driver_madwifi.c:461: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_ROAMING' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:467: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_WPA' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c: In function 'wpa_driver_madwifi_deinit':
driver_madwifi.c:493: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_ROAMING' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:497: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_PRIVACY' undeclared (first use in this function)
driver_madwifi.c:501: error: 'IEEE80211_PARAM_WPA' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [driver_madwifi.o] Error 1

edit: ok, looks like I set the directory for madwifi to /var/abs/local/madwifi/src/madwifi when it should have been madwifi-0.9.1. Now I'm trying to get makepkg to reset.

I keep getting:

==> Starting build()...
cp: cannot stat `../config': No such file or directory
Building wpa_supplicant requires a configuration file
(.config). See README for more instructions. You can
run "cp defconfig .config" to create an example
configuration.
make: *** [verify_config] Error 1

I tried starting completely over, removing everything and copying everything from abs again, doing makepkg -C and makepkg -f, still no dice.

#7 2006-08-01 16:18:47

brain0
Developer

You can use wpa_supplicant from testing, it has madwifi support: ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/testing/os/i686 … pkg.tar.gz

The PKGBUILD is here: http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcv … cvs-markup

#8 2006-08-01 18:23:51

subatomic

wish I had known that.

I have to admit that I was not using abs, so that is why the dirs/files were in the wrong places. user error indeed. I am used to building packages from aur direct in my home directory and not having to reference to another package.

chalk it up to experience!

Board footer