You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-03 14:15:38

skjorrface

Detecting/Mounting USB Mass Storage Android Device

Hello everybody, my kernel version is 4.18.8-arch1-1-ARCH (I compiled it with genkernel), and I'm trying to detect/mount my huawei p20 pro as a usb mass storage device (I need usb mass storage and NOT MTP because I want to run photorec on my internal memory), I already rooted my p20 pro and enabled USB Mass Storage mode via TWRP, the problem is I can't find a mount point for my device althouth the following outputs:

dmesg -wH:

usb 2-2: new high-speed USB device number 49 using ehci-pci
usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=103a, bcdDevice= 2.99
usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-2: Product: HUAWEI
usb 2-2: Manufacturer: unknown
usb 2-2: SerialNumber: s/n

lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 049: ID id_info Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

Apparently lsblk is the only command which doesn't track my p20 pro at all. How can I find its mount point? Thanks beforehand. P.S. I even tried disabling/reenabling ehci_pci kernel module with no luck.

#2 2018-12-03 14:50:28

seth

Re: Detecting/Mounting USB Mass Storage Android Device

From the dmesg the thing simply does not register as mass storage device at all.
I tried that once w/ a P9 and at some point gave up. It only ever somehow provided a virtual cd-rom that wanted to install some windows software.

#3 2018-12-03 15:05:46

skjorrface

Thanks for your response. So is it just TWRP fooling about mounting internal storage as USB Mass Storage? Is there any chance I can run photorec? Other root apps couldn't recover a single information of what I'm looking for

#4 2018-12-03 15:12:17

skjorrface

From what I'm reading all "modern" android devices switched from usb storage to mtp, but photorec won'r work with mtp!!!

Last edited by skjorrface (2018-12-03 15:13:26)

#5 2018-12-03 15:25:34

seth

What I did back then was click the Phone version string for a gazillion times until it opened root access. Then I could enable USB Mass-storage support, except that didn't cause any change in the devices behavior.
It might only offer direct access to an SD card (though that's oc. BS, I've a card reader for that purpose)
All I can really tell you is that my personal experience strongly contradicts the idea that you can get a different Huawei phone to offer its internal memory as mass storage device. And w/o raw access to the device, you'll oc. not be able to run testdisk or photorec, no :-(

#6 2018-12-03 15:30:20

Slithery
Administrator

seth wrote:

What I did back then was click the Phone version string for a gazillion times until it opened root access.

Just to be pedantic, clicking the version string a gazillion times doesn't enable root access it enables developer mode which is one of the pre-requisites for rooting (I went through this a few days ago rooting my new tablet) smile

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer