You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-30 16:39:03

axal

Mendeley: unable to open PDF

Hi all,

I installed mendeleydesktop-bundled-1.19.2-1 from the AUR which was working fine for me, but a few days ago I became unable to open any PDF inside mendeley.

It's not that mendeley crashes as reported for the version without the bundled Qt. When I double click an article, a new empty panel opens and a pop-up displays : "Unable to open PDF - It may be damaged". It happens with all of my PDFs and they don't seem to be damaged since I can open them with other PDF viewers.

If I check the log file (.local/share/data/Mendeley\ Ltd./Mendeley\ Desktop/log-2018-11-30.txt), I see these errors:

-- 2018-11-30 16:28:29.489 PdfnetQtTools::handleException: PDFTron exception /home/administrator/workspace/workspace/Desktop_Release_Build/src/pdfViewe
r/PdfnetPdfBackend.cpp:48 (virtual bool PdfnetPdfBackend::openFile(const QString&, PdfPasswordProvider*)) Error opening file: /home/axal/Documents/Mend
eley Desktop/Farmer, Foley/Nature/Farmer, Foley_2009_Nature.pdf
locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid MappingManager.cpp 138 Init 

The strange thing I notice, but I'm really not sure it is related, is that the time in the log is offset by one hour. I changed time zone by one hour at the beginning of the week and this is when this problem occurred. I am now back to my original time zone, but mendeley does not seem to have noticed...

Anyway, does someone else have this problem or have any ideas on how to solve it?

Thanks!

#2 2018-12-02 09:29:01

patelvrajn

Re: Mendeley: unable to open PDF

This seems like a problem with your locale settings, you can try solving this by editing your environment variables, the simplest way is typing this into a terminal:
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

OR if that does not seem to work try the generating locales section in the Arch Linux wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/locale).

#3 2018-12-03 09:11:55

axal

Thanks, that was it!

I had my locale set to LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/locale.conf but I changed the date display format to fr_BE by right clicking on the clock in KDE.
It seems that it messed up my locale settings....

I had to change back the date display format. Is there a way to keep the language to en_US but change the date display format?

#4 2018-12-03 18:39:47

patelvrajn

Yes, you can, there are many locale environment variables which you can read on the wiki but I will provide a simplified summary.

So here is the deal you can set different locale settings for different types of texts like time/date, money, normal ASCII text, etc. When you export the variable LC_ALL what you are effectively doing is telling the OS (Arch Linux) to set all the locale variables to that specific language format. So in your case setting LC_ALL to en_US would set everything to have an "American format" such as the time/date. In order to set custom locale settings depending on the text (measurements, currency, time/date, etc) you can export different variables.

In your case, the date/time display format has a locale environment variable called LC_TIME which you can set in /etc/locale.conf. After which you can then set the language format of all other variables that have not be specified by the variable LANG.

So the lines in your /etc/locale.conf should look something like:
LC_TIME = en_US.UTF-8
LANG = fr_BE (make sure that this is the value for the format your looking for, by looking through the list of valid locales - you can get this by typing the command "locale -a" in your terminal without quotes)

Hopefully this was a useful explanation, I tried my best to explain it but if you need more information or clarification you can follow this wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/lo … ult_locale

#5 2018-12-05 08:26:42

axal

Thanks a lot! very good explanations. :-)

Board footer