You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-06 16:21:12

Dun

[SOLVED] urxvt + Oh my ZSH showing no unicode characters in prompt

I installed Arch Linux on my work computer and I'm currently configuring it for my taste. I installed the packages I needed (Xorg, Gnome3, urxvt, etc.) and created those dot files:

.xinitrc

export GDK_BACKEND=x11
exec gnome-session

.zprofile

if [[ ! $DISPLAY && XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]]; then 
    exec startx
fi

I have powerline-fonts-git installed. I also added this to .Xdefaults:

! Fonts
URxvt.allow_bold:           false
URxvt.font:                 xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:autohint=true:size=12
URxvt.boldFont:             xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:autohint=true:bold:size=12
URxvt.italicFont:           xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:autohint=true:italic:size=12
URxvt.boldItalicFont:       xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:autohint=true:bold:italic:size=12

But nothing helped and my prompt still looks messy. I noticed that displaying Unicode characters doesn't seem to be the problem. I can still paste them and they are displayed correctly
https://i.imgur.com/VVEdDAQ.png

Could somebody to find the root of this problem? Could it be related to UEFI? It's the first time I installed Arch Linux on a computer with UEFI.

Mod Edit - Replaced oversized image with link.
CoC - Pasting pictures and code

Last edited by Dun (2018-12-07 10:26:07)

#2 2018-12-06 17:02:45

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] urxvt + Oh my ZSH showing no unicode characters in prompt

Although not related to your issue your ~/.xinitrc is incomplete. Please read the startx wiki page to find out what needs adding.

Have you tried removing OMZ? It's a hideously buggy collection of code that usually causes more problems than it solves.

Last edited by Slithery (2018-12-06 17:04:06)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2018-12-06 21:20:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Dun wrote:

But nothing helped and my prompt still looks messy.

Nothing helped with what?  You gave some useful background about your system, but you've not described a problem other than what is in your title.  You've not shown us any configs with a custom prompt.

If you are actually using oh-my-zsh, then that is likely the problem.  Disable and/or uninstall it.  Does the problem persist?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2018-12-07 08:20:36

Dun

Thanks for the help, I still have some problems with characters.

I created a new .zshrc.

autoload -Uz compinit promptinit up-line-or-beginning-search down-line-or-beginning-search
compinit
promptinit

prompt walters

zstyle ':completion:*' menu select
setopt COMPLETE_ALIASES
zstyle ':completion::complete:*' gain-privileges 1

zle -N up-line-or-beginning-search
zle -N down-line-or-beginning-search
[[ -n "$key[Up]"   ]] && bindkey -- "$key[Up]"   up-line-or-beginning-search
[[ -n "$key[Down]" ]] && bindkey -- "$key[Down]" down-line-or-beginning-search
bindkey '\e[A' history-search-backward
bindkey '\e[B' history-search-forward

SAVEHIST=10000
HISTSIZE=10000
HISTFILE=~/.zsh_history

Some of the characters are still not being displayed. Is it because DejaVu doesn't support those characters?
https://i.imgur.com/3XppkhW.png

I also installed otf-inconsolata-powerline-git and changed my .Xdefaults.

! Fonts
URxvt.allow_bold:           false
URxvt.font:                 xft:Inconsolata\ for\ Powerline:autohint=true:size=12
URxvt.boldFont:             xft:Inconsolata\ for\ Powerline:autohint=true:bold:size=12
URxvt.italicFont:           xft:Inconsolata\ for\ Powerline:autohint=true:italic:size=12
URxvt.boldItalicFont:       xft:Inconsolata\ for\ Powerline:autohint=true:bold:italic:size=12

https://i.imgur.com/UoCIq3Y.png

Last edited by Dun (2018-12-07 09:50:19)

#5 2018-12-07 08:53:51

seth

URxvt.font: xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:autohint=true:size=12,xft:Inconsolata\ for\ Powerline:autohint=true:size=12

And replace the oversized images as you've already been told. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

#6 2018-12-07 10:25:49

Dun

Thanks, I thought about this and I'm using it in my current config. But it's a bummer using this workaround and not actually fixing the problem. I liked Oh my ZSH and never had a problem with it on my system at home.
Though I have this feeling I'm marking it as solved because I have the same functionality with my current config. Thank you guys smile

Sorry for the oversized images. I keep forgetting it when I'm coming here because it's kinda unusual.

#7 2018-12-07 12:47:40

seth

What makes you believe this is a "workaround"? This is how the glyph substitution in urxvt works - you define the fonts and order to pick from.
Since most obviously none of your fonts do not provide all required glyphs, this is exactly the proper solution.

Also this has absolutely nothing to do with OMZ which is complete FUBAR one multiple different levels.

#8 2018-12-07 13:32:03

Dun

seth wrote:

What makes you believe this is a "workaround"? This is how the glyph substitution in urxvt works - you define the fonts and order to pick from.
Since most obviously none of your fonts do not provide all required glyphs, this is exactly the proper solution.

Also this has absolutely nothing to do with OMZ which is complete FUBAR one multiple different levels.

It makes me believe that because all I did back then was downloading Oh my ZSH and a configured .Xdefaults with Solarized. It's still working perfectly on my system at home. I only had a single font in my .Xdefaults and I still don't understand why it's not working on this system.

Last edited by Dun (2018-12-07 13:32:37)

#9 2018-12-07 13:39:13

seth

Because the font you used provided all the glyphs you used.
Or: you're not actually using urxvt on the other system but eg. some VTE3 based VTE which will try down the fontconfig substitution list.
Whatever the difference actually is (font or PS1) only you can figure by comparing the system.

#10 2018-12-12 16:10:54

Dun

You were right. It was all because I used Inconsolata. I just never noticed the lack of some characters on my system at home.

I'm giving Prezto a try because I only could find a sh file for a standalone Agnoster theme and couldn't get it to work. In the description it said I had to source the sh file but my prompt only displayed $(build_prompt$?).

Board footer