You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-07 18:19:31

dmidge

Cuda on a computer with two generation of NVIDIA

Hi,

I have a quite old computer (around 2008), that has an old version of Nvidia GPU. I just added on this computer, a fairly new Nvidia graphic card (GTX 1060), because I want to do some cuda on it.

As far as I understand, based on what I read, I should install the nvidia drivers and replace nouveau to the proprietary Nvidia driver to be able to use cuda. Nouveau is working fine on my old graphic card, so I would rather stick to it if I can. However, I wouldn't mind replacing it by the proprietary drivers if it works.
So, I tried to install the proprietary drivers. But if I install the nvidia driver, it seems that nouveau is removed from both graphic card (I did the mistake just before, and chose to reinstall from scratch.) My display was not working anymore... Even when I tried to "unblaklist" nouveau.
But the drivers seems to be on different kernel version, so I guess it is not compatible. Thus, if I install the old version, my old graphic card connected to the display would work, but not the new one for cuda. And vice versa. But I want to have a functional display and cuda.

So now, my question is: how could I use cuda on my new GPU, but keeping the display functional on my old graphic card?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,

#2 2018-12-08 12:49:04

Lone_Wolf

Re: Cuda on a computer with two generation of NVIDIA

Looking at dependencies for cuda it may be possible.

Try installing nvidia-utils but NOT nvidia .
In order to keep nouveau working you'll probably have to manually remove  /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf .

Edit: also install opencl-nvidia .

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-12-08 12:50:51)

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#3 2018-12-08 18:44:53

dmidge

Hi Lone_Wolf,

Thanks for your help! smile
Unfortunately, I ended up with a black screen at reboot time.
For both GPU, lspci says that the module in use is nouveau. (I just renamed /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.confDel, in case I need to restore it. I don't think it would change anything.)

With dmesg, I get audit information. Nouveau loads and a bit later, it seems that I have a coredump invocated. I guess that it is of sddm (the starter of KDE/plasma desktop), because on some messages, that names pops up.
That is consistent to what I see in systemctl where this status is failed, with an "6/ABRT" (I guess abort) status is shown.

With journalctl -u sddm, I get a bit more info. The first error is "Failed to read display number from pipe", which comes just after the command "Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp auth [...]" ([...] because I shortened the line)

I renamed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.confDel. I managed to get back the display back. smile I will now test if can compile some cuda.

Last edited by dmidge (2018-12-08 18:45:10)

#4 2018-12-09 00:33:56

dmidge

Sadly, cuda is still not working and I don't know how to fix it. even nvidia-smi don't know how to access the card...

#5 2018-12-09 01:07:49

dmidge

Actually, at that stage, I am not even sure that I can make cuda work event though I would mind scrapping my old GPU...

#6 2018-12-09 03:12:30

dmidge

Okay. Installing the linux419-nvidia and blacklisting nouveau works to have cuda. But now, my first card doesn't work and I am only in CLI.
How to make the nouveau work again with that?

#7 2018-12-09 04:17:13

Ropid

You normally can't use both. The two kernel modules clash with each other so nouveau needs to be blacklisted to be able to use the nvidia module.

Maybe there's a way to have a certain kernel module only get used for one PCIe device but not another one?

#8 2018-12-09 20:44:04

dmidge

That would be what I look like. Is there a way? Maybe through the proper Xorg.conf? Or some special modprobe.conf file?
Looking online, it may be more a job for udev. But I dunno.

Last edited by dmidge (2018-12-09 20:46:08)

#9 2018-12-09 21:25:35

Lone_Wolf

This needs to be solved way before Xorg.conf is applied, custom udev rules might be "exactly what the doctor ordered" .
Let's hope some people that know how to write those respond.

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Board footer