You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-31 01:31:14

allucid

pacman + AUR

Are there any plans of adding pacman-like capabilities to aurbuild or perhaps creating a new tool that is capable of managing all packages on a system (AUR packages and official packages). I understand why things are kept separate but the current was of doing things is not very intuitive. The AUR tools (aurbuild and qpkg) and pacman all behave differently and have different command line options. I think it would be handy to be able to search both systems at once and be able to update everything with one tool.

Opinions, comments, complaints?

#2 2006-07-31 08:48:30

arooaroo
Website

Re: pacman + AUR

Personally, I agree in your sentiments that aur should be supported by an offical Arch Linux tool - ideally pacman.

aurbuild is a great tool but according to its own design goals it won't go all the way and actually install the packages (IIRC), which is again, another little hurdle (although not huge, I confess).

AUR is a killer feature of Arch and I'd love to see it better integrated.

Hopefully AUR's DB will become more accessible to software writers so that they don't need to perform HTML scraping operations to gather info too.

#3 2006-07-31 10:42:21

Cam
Website

Hopefully AUR's DB will become more accessible to software writers so that they don't need to perform HTML scraping operations to gather info too.

Someone send neotuli a patch to dump the needed data to XML and it'll be done.

#4 2006-07-31 11:16:14

wain
Website

allucid wrote:

Are there any plans of adding pacman-like capabilities to aurbuild or perhaps creating a new tool that is capable of managing all packages on a system (AUR packages and official packages). I understand why things are kept separate but the current was of doing things is not very intuitive. The AUR tools (aurbuild and qpkg) and pacman all behave differently and have different command line options. I think it would be handy to be able to search both systems at once and be able to update everything with one tool.

Have you tried yaourt ?

yaourt -S download from pacman db or AUR
yaourt -Ss search for package in pacman repos and AUR

+ more  8)

#5 2006-07-31 13:01:38

brazzmonkey

eh wain, i 've been expecting such a tool. i didn't know about it, i'll give it a try tonight. many thanks !

what goes up must come down

#6 2006-07-31 13:19:38

allucid

wain wrote:
allucid wrote:

Have you tried yaourt ?

No. Never heard of it until now. I will try it out, thanks. smile

#7 2006-07-31 15:36:58

allucid

Does yaourt always pull in the latest package? For example, if I have gaim installed from current will it try and install game 2.0 from AUR? Is there a way to avoid this behavior?

#8 2006-07-31 15:42:52

wain
Website

allucid wrote:

Does yaourt always pull in the latest package? For example, if I have gaim installed from current will it try and install game 2.0 from AUR? Is there a way to avoid this behavior?

logically, it is never exactly the same name.
"gaim" in current, gaim-devel or gaim-svn in AUR.

#9 2006-07-31 16:55:17

allucid

wain wrote:
allucid wrote:

logically, it is never exactly the same name.
"gaim" in current, gaim-devel or gaim-svn in AUR.

Yeah, that makes sense. Apparently, I forgot what I have installed in the past.  :?

#10 2006-07-31 21:24:36

detto

brazzmonkey wrote:

eh wain, i 've been expecting such a tool. i didn't know about it, i'll give it a try tonight. many thanks !

same here, i just didnt know this wonder thingy! please vote for it in AUR and maybe contact devs to some time replace/update official pacman with it! please do this, it gives MUCH more ease of use (colors) and the features like building with srcpac and downloading from AUR without additional aurbuild (for example, or qpkg if u want) makes this one really awesome imo smile
great work! vote for it guys smile

#11 2006-08-01 21:33:52

whargoul

Well... I like to keep my packages up-to-date by my own. Mostly because I build SVN/CVS versions. But the idea isn't bad. smile

Arch - It's something refreshing

#12 2006-08-02 07:26:50

wain
Website

whargoul wrote:

Well... I like to keep my packages up-to-date by my own. Mostly because I build SVN/CVS versions. But the idea isn't bad. smile

yaourt can update all svn/cvs packages with the last version:

yaourt -Su --svn

#13 2006-08-02 15:34:21

deficite

I'm yet another person who has never heard of this until now. I'm surprised a tool like this wasn't posted all over the place on these forums. Good job.

Board footer