You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-10 16:18:55

LouisJ

Error on Login after enabling gdm.service.

Hiya folks,

I'll be honest I was hoping it would be a bit longer before I needed to ask for help, but oh well. I just recently installed Arch, with LightDM. I decided I wanted to use gnome however, as I've heard good things. I watched a guide on how to switch between lightdm and gnome, and they told me to enter two simple commands into the terminal after having downloaded gnome
Sudo systemctl enable gdm.service, followed by sudo systemctl enable gdm.service -f. After doing this I rebooted, but now upon login I am greeted by a white screen saying, 'Oh no. Something has gone wrong.'
I've tried to find some solutions online, but to no avail. I'm very new to this all, so I dont know what information you might need to help me troubleshoot this issue, but if you'd be happy to help, just ask for any information you might need and I'll try to get it.

#2 2018-12-10 17:00:40

loqs

Re: Error on Login after enabling gdm.service.

LouisJ wrote:

I watched a guide on how to switch between lightdm and gnome, and they told me to enter two simple commands into the terminal after having downloaded gnome

Did you also install arch following a video guide?
Systemd#Using_units covers basic service management.
Systemd#Filtering_output covers extracting output from the journal for gdm.service for the current boot.
Xorg#Driver_installation covers extracting information about the GPU in the system.

#3 2018-12-10 17:07:39

LouisJ

Re: Error on Login after enabling gdm.service.

I didn't follow a video in order to install arch, and I tried to make sure I didn't skip any sections on the installation guide. I'll check those pages you linked though to see if I can sort it out myself.
Thank you.

Board footer