You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-25 01:17:48

CopiousCoffee

Configuring Boinc/boincscr as a screensaver

Hi all,

I've always wanted to setup a screensaver with Boinc/SETI@HOME. I've got Boinc running fine, I just need to get the screensaver running (with xscreensaver).

So I followed Boinc's own guide here:
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/BOINC_screensaver

I added the "GL: boincscr -root \n\" in my .xscreensaver file. I now have a "boincscr" option in xscreensaver, but it is greyed out. When I click on it, it errors out as the boincscr executable does not exist.

I'm guessing that the standard community/boinc package doesn't include boincscr. I went looking for package that provides boincscr, but I've found nothing after checking the main repos, and the AUR.

Do any packages provide boincscr? Or is there an alternative way to setup boinc as a screensaver on Arch?

Thanks.

#2 2018-11-25 16:46:11

Steef435
Website

Re: Configuring Boinc/boincscr as a screensaver

Seems like the screensaver will only be built if xcb (and xcb-atom) are installed, see the configure script. That doesn't appear to be a dependency in the PKGBUILD.

Specifically Arch packages libxcb and xcb-util are required as makedepends. ./configure gives a warning about not building the screensaver but doesn't fail, so I think the exclusion is non-intentional here.

I sent an e-mail to the maintainer. He may be willing to include the screensaver in the package. For now, you could manually build the package on a system with xcb and xcb-util installed, that should give you a package with the screensaver.

Last edited by Steef435 (2018-11-25 16:52:30)

#3 2018-12-04 22:10:58

CopiousCoffee

Steef435 wrote:

Seems like the screensaver will only be built if xcb (and xcb-atom) are installed, see the configure script. That doesn't appear to be a dependency in the PKGBUILD.

Specifically Arch packages libxcb and xcb-util are required as makedepends. ./configure gives a warning about not building the screensaver but doesn't fail, so I think the exclusion is non-intentional here.

I sent an e-mail to the maintainer. He may be willing to include the screensaver in the package. For now, you could manually build the package on a system with xcb and xcb-util installed, that should give you a package with the screensaver.

Thanks for sending the email. I was pretty certain it was a packaging issue, but I'm glad you've confirmed it. Did they reply?

Last edited by CopiousCoffee (2018-12-04 22:15:27)

#4 2018-12-11 22:00:25

Steef435
Website

Not yet, maybe it got buried. You could try a bug report and/or do the final research (building in a clean environment, making sure the dependencies I listed are sufficient and minimal). Did you manage to get it working with the extra dependencies on build?

Board footer