You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-11 19:36:24

nicoulaj

AUR out of date bot

Would it be against the rules of AUR to build a bot that automatically flags out of date packages ?

It should be pretty easy to build a prototype by gluing aur-out-of-date and xyne's python3-aur together.

This would be opt-in obviously (as in, maintainer suscribes to this "service").

AUR | github | IRC:nicoulaj

#2 2018-12-11 19:41:36

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: AUR out of date bot

The aur-out-of-date program already does that after asking for confirmation.

If maintainers wished to opt into such a service, they could also opt into running this program themselves, or using something like nvchecker or urlwatch. urlwatch even comes with prominent instructions for sending email notifications, or running urlwatch as a telegram bot, slack integration, etc.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2018-12-11 20:03:46

nicoulaj

The aur-out-of-date program already does that after asking for confirmation.

Damn, they added that option in the meanwhile and I missed it, thanks smile

If maintainers wished to opt into such a service, they could also opt into running this program themselves, or using something like nvchecker or urlwatch. urlwatch even comes with prominent instructions for sending email notifications, or running urlwatch as a telegram bot, slack integration, etc.

I still think flagging the package has a little more value than just notifying the maintainer, as users can see this information as well when they install, which is useful sometimes.

But anyway, my idea was more to make it "one click away" for maintainers, but I guess it's easy enough to setup a cron that runs aur-out-of-date.

#4 2018-12-11 22:57:15

eschwartz
Fellow

The point of either running aur-out-of-date, or opting into such a system by running nvchecker/urlwatch, is that it doesn't involve mass flagging by some impartial script. Mistakes and inaccuracies happen, which is why aur-out-of-date prompts you, and why running nvchecker/urlwatch lets you fine-tune detection without sending emails to all users following the package.

I'm not saying don't use the cron job. But I am saying I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you got a minority of complaints about false positives.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2018-12-12 13:24:07

nicoulaj

Yes, I came to the same conclusion after trying on a few hundreds packages. It could work pretty good if limiting to packages that use strict semantic versioning.

Board footer