You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-20 11:09:42

loh.tar

tbsm - Terminal Based Session Manager

Hello!

After I run in trouble with my Plasma 5 migration, I install LXQt as workaround and start it not by an usual display manager (makes trouble too) but by startx method from terminal.

That was nicely but not comfier, so I a came across CDM and tdm. Because I didn't like the ncurses interface a start to modify CDM and endet up in something else, tbsm.

So if someone like to try it, here you are: AUR and home page

Lothar

PS: Because it is my very first AUR package it would be nice some Guru may take a look at it.

Edit: Add home page

Last edited by loh.tar (2017-10-28 17:32:32)

#2 2016-01-20 16:56:58

sekret

Re: tbsm - Terminal Based Session Manager

loh.tar wrote:

Because it is my very first AUR package it would be nice some Guru may take a look at it.

I have suggestions:

With your PKGBUILD and its source line

source=("https://github.com/loh-tar/${pkgname}/archive/v${pkgver}.tar.gz")

you can run into trouble if you have SRCDEST defined in /etc/makepkg.conf (to collect all sources in one directory, which I have, that's why I noticed). The reason is, that the filename v0.1.tar.gz is too common, e.g. if another package does the same, makepkg finds its source file and of course fails the md5sum check. That's why I'd suggest something like this:

source=("$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz::https://github.com/loh-tar/$pkgname/archive/v$pkgver.tar.gz")

See, I also changed ${pkgname} and ${pkgver} to $pkgname and $pkgver, especially because the {} aren't required here and in the rest of the PKGBUILD you don't use the {}. Makes the code more consistent smile

Ok so after the build process I ran namcap on it and that's what I get:

$ namcap tbsm-0.1-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
tbsm E: Symlink (usr/share/doc/tbsm/99_License.txt) points to non-existing /usr/share/licenses/common/GPL2/license.txt

Seems like we don't need this 99_License.txt, not even as a symlink, because you chose a common license.

Or do you want to change the Makefile? I think this is up to you wink

Last edited by sekret (2016-01-20 16:57:31)

#3 2016-01-21 00:39:22

loh.tar

Hey, thanks for your help!

Huh, yes, I forgot to run namcap. But now I am pretty confused.
  - The license file exist, why does he report "non-existing"?
  - What is the 'right' way to handle license files?

From my point of view it is part of the documentation, so I ship it there. Then says the wiki it should only go to /usr/share/licenses/pkgname if its not common. If it is common a note in the PKGBUILD is enough. And then don't install the license, nowhere? I found it not as logic and make this linking stuff. Which works, until namcap.

I was also a little bit surprised that the tar file has such a short name. Is it a config thing at github, the wrong tag used or your solution absolutely usual?

Well the braces. Needed or not. But you are right, it should be consistent.

#4 2016-01-21 00:43:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

loh.tar wrote:

- The license file exist, why does he report "non-existing"?
  - What is the 'right' way to handle license files?

The file does not exist within the package.  It may exist on your system, but it is not in ${pkgdir}.

As for the proper way, see here.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2016-01-21 16:56:01

loh.tar

Ok, regarding the "non-existing" link the fog clears up, thanks.

But about the file handling not, sorry. I do not understand the meaning of that all in the wiki. So why should there be collected all (not included, or these specials) licenses?

It seems to me, as author, ignore it at all and me as packer set 'GPL' in license array and forget it.

It would be nice there is a convention that somewhere are collected license files and each author/packer can reference them to avoid redundance. The FHS would be a place to achieve this or perhaps freedesktop.org but I can't find something there.

#6 2017-10-28 17:28:44

loh.tar

I allow to point out that there is a new version 0.4 and a new fancy home page

#7 2018-12-01 06:28:56

loh.tar

To my joy becomes tbsm increasingly popular.

Now there is a very welcome pull request to support Wayland. It would be nice to get some feedback before I do the merge and make a new release.

I'm only on X and would like avoid to install Wayland just for some own tests. It's a simple Bash script you can easy try in a new VT without to change your existing display manager (at least I think so) as long you have a free VT without a running graphic login.

#8 2018-12-13 06:34:50

loh.tar

Sadly no feedback, but the merge is done and the new v0.5 out.

Next will be (hopefully) to support i18n, staring with Brazilian/Portuguese translation and probably German.

#9 2019-01-11 16:35:15

Sandm

Wayland support is really good since I was looking for lightweight alternative to sddm and gdm to start wayland session in my laptop!

#10 2022-03-03 14:25:34

loh.tar

Hi!

Even if someone already declared us dead, there is now a new release v0.6 and some more action. Especially Wayland tester are welcome, I'm still on X.

Myself wrote:

Next will be (hopefully) to support i18n, staring with Brazilian/Portuguese translation and probably German.

No we dropped that.

Board footer