You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-16 23:15:12

AbuG

Linking a directory to a USB port

Hey guys,  Is it possible to link a directory (or drive) to a USB port such that if I connect that USB port to another device, that device recognizes that folder (or drive) as a USB storage device?

basically I ask because I regretfully got hold of a device called WD mycloud home (WDMCH)  which I thought was a NAS and its not, its just a very slow network cloud. Transfer is done via the internet and its too slow.

USB transfers are decent. But currently I am copying large files from my Arch PC system to a USB disk and then subsequently copying that to the WDMCH. 
I want to connect the WDMCH directly to my PC. Currently if i do so nothing happens.  The device needs to recognise that port as a USB disk.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Last edited by AbuG (2018-12-16 23:17:17)

#2 2018-12-17 00:04:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Linking a directory to a USB port

For your direct question, not really no (with enough coding, and perhaps with a soldering iron and a steady hand it could certainly be possible ... but that's not what you're looking for.)

If both devices are on the same local network, just use scp and/or rsync and transfers should be fast.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-12-17 00:06:06)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-12-17 05:56:16

Docbroke

Re: Linking a directory to a USB port

Hi AbuG, I own WD mycloud gen 2.

Have you tried connecting the device to your laptop ethernet and using static ip on your laptop? This shall give you faster transfer over local network.
The device is good but the original os that comes with it is horribly bloated. I was able to change it to alpine linux and have not used original  in long time. It works very fine for me.

Last edited by Docbroke (2018-12-17 05:58:25)

Board footer