You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-25 17:40:17

tinybob20

Laptop screen only works momentarily after resume

I have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2015 that I've been running Arch on since I got it.  The past week, I've had an issue where the screen refuses to work for longer than half a second when I boot and when the computer comes back from suspend, and it just displays black with the backlight on.  When it is working, it displays the login screen/tty correctly.  The first few times, I was able to get it to work for a few days after rebooting a few times, but now I can't get it to stay on at all.  External screens work fine.  When the laptop boots, the backlight doesn't come on until its a few second into the boot process.

Things I've tried:
Looking through journalctl and dmesg - couldn't find anything that correlated with the screen turning off
Antergos live usb - same problem
Linux-lts - same problem

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by tinybob20 (2018-12-25 18:24:06)

#2 2018-12-25 23:54:49

madscience
Website

Re: Laptop screen only works momentarily after resume

If it worked, then stopped and you've tried other live distros... it's probably hardware.

#3 2018-12-26 14:54:26

tinybob20

Re: Laptop screen only works momentarily after resume

madscience wrote:

If it worked, then stopped and you've tried other live distros... it's probably hardware.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, I just haven't been able to find anyone else whose had a display fail like this.  But that might mean the GPU/motherboard or the connector is failing instead of the LCD.

Board footer