You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-12 04:39:54

lilsirecho
Veteran

Boot in kernel26 gives KDE "hang" @

big_smile  smile

Boot is normal up to login in KDE window..

After login KDE begins to load and "hangs" in "initializing system services".

Since it requires X, that system is up.  The display has the default KDE blue backgound and after a time-out the start-up window defaults to the KDE background.  Mouse is active on the cursor, no taskbar.

Recent changes include the install of printer via http://127.0.0.1:631/admin.
    The printer does not yet function nor did it function after the initial install before any reboot was made.  Suspect it has introduced the problem.
    How should I proceed to fix?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-03-12 06:40:41

dp
Website

Re: Boot in kernel26 gives KDE "hang" @

if you boot kernel24, it do not hang?

have you tried having a view what happens while it hangs? ([ctrl][alt][f1] ... and back to X with [ctrl][alt][f7]) any funny messages?

i had this once with kde 3.1.4 after setting new printer, but it was solved after reboot; no idea how and why ... and i wasn't able to reproduce again

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-03-12 09:14:41

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Is it a problem with Cups.....remove it from rc.conf...then reboot ...HTH

Mr Green

#4 2004-03-12 15:59:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile
    No luck with either and all of the procedures suggested.  Condition never changes and no error messages.

Can boot with command line and deleted cups from daemon.

Problem seems to be with KDE after install of cups printer/ or the use of IEEE1394 device with an error message present in KDE 1394 devices listing referring to ....libkcm_view1394.la...reporting it has error in download or there are " modules laying around".????

The device used in IEEE1394 mode is not connected and the initiating modprobe command has not been entered.(obviously, since I am trying to boot-up).
     Perhaps there is a procedure I can use to re-install KDE package which contains the offending libkcm file or directory???

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2004-03-12 16:15:37

dauphin

Hi Lilsirecho,
You could simply remove KDE with pacman -R and then use pacman again to reinstall.

#6 2004-03-12 16:51:49

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Dauphin;

Welcome back!

I assume your reference to....   pacman -R kde... will remove all kde packages and that ....pacman -Sy kde will put them all back in.

I have previously needed to select each package individually for install of Kde components.  Was that not necessary?

I see that a new kernel is out and the changelog refers to USB changes to the "current control" which in Via related systems is different than other system implementation.  This possible cause for my USB erratic performance is consistent with such a mismatch.

I will try the KDE replacement idea.

#7 2004-03-12 17:14:11

dauphin

I also install the kde packages individually, because I don't want the whole lot, so when I removed and reinstalled kde I did it the same way (ie individually).  As you are no doubt aware, you can list the packages for removal all at once, eg: pacman -R kdeutils kdemultimedia kdebase, etc,etc.  (and put them back the same way)
If you don't already have the very latest version of kde, you could simply try upgrading it first using pacman -Syu without removing; maybe that would restore any damaged file you may have on the system.  Anyway, removal and replacement can be done in just a few minutes if you already have the latest versions in the cache.

#8 2004-03-12 17:52:03

lilsirecho
Veteran

I had already entered the ...pacman -Sy kde ... and only one of the packages was loaded.

I may try the.... -Syu... method later because the speed of the connection is extremely low at this time.

I hope the speed improves later today..

#9 2004-03-12 22:19:21

lilsirecho
Veteran

Ran the  ....pacman -Sy kde command and had a long wait for all the programs to load ....

Result....many errors in install refer to .......opt/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32  and others in the same area...reports not a directory.

Errors reported in kdeadmin, kdelibs, kdepim, kdegraphics, and kdeutils.   All related to the opt/kde/share.............

Tried re-install to no avail.

Still have a hang up in Kde log-in but a bit different...xwindow appears with no mouse response after log-in.  No kde setup occurs..

Note that kernel2.6.4-1 is now available....I have to solve this problem before going into that area.

Can't figure why all the error messages...

#10 2004-03-13 14:45:24

dauphin

What is the nature of the error? - is it saying the files already exist?  If it is something like that, I would go for the pacman -R option and then replace the KDE packages you want after first removing them.

#11 2004-04-12 07:43:03

tpowa
Developer

if you using a network device don't forget to list your adress in the hosts file in /etc
eg.
127.0.0.1 localhost
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx myhost

otherwise kde will hang a lot and seems to be very slow in starting apps

#12 2004-04-12 10:11:55

Arielext
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Ran the  ....pacman -Sy kde command and had a long wait for all the programs to load ....

Result....many errors in install refer to .......opt/kde/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32  and others in the same area...reports not a directory.

Errors reported in kdeadmin, kdelibs, kdepim, kdegraphics, and kdeutils.   All related to the opt/kde/share.............

After you did the pacman -R kde, was there still an /opt/kde directory? If so just delete the whole damn directory! This could happen if you installed, let say an alternative iconpack, without using pacman for it. So if you really want to reinstall kde do a pacman -R kde, delete the remaining /opt/kde directory and do pacman -Sy kde.
Hope this helps.

apt-get install arch

Board footer