You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-11 23:40:40

wdemoss

xscreensaver in kde

After my screensaver has been on for a while, it turns to white gobly-gook, kinda like ocean waves or something and hangs. Just wondering if anybody else has seen anything like this.

Some info that might help:
- Dell Latitue D800 with WUXGA screen
- Kernel 2.6.3-mm
- binary NVIDIA 5336 drivers
- KDE 3.2.x

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#2 2004-03-11 23:47:32

dp
Website

Re: xscreensaver in kde

the 3d-accelerated screensavers do not work properly under kde because kde itself uses transluency and textures ... do you mean a specific one?

using 2.6.4 / radeon / kde 3.2.1 i cannot run 3d screensavers to look nice

what do you mean with "gobly-gook"? (i'm not natively english-speaker, sorry)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-03-12 12:40:04

wdemoss

dp wrote:

the 3d-accelerated screensavers do not work properly under kde because kde itself uses transluency and textures ... do you mean a specific one?

Thanks for the tip, yeah, there were 3d-accelerated ones, i've just changed it to blank now.

I'm not sure the best way to translate gobly-gook into clear language, its kinda like crap, ....  or crazy ... crap, or something like that. smile sorry for the inconsice language. I will try and keep aware of that in future posts.

-wd

#4 2004-03-12 17:18:09

dp
Website

wdemoss wrote:
dp wrote:

Thanks for the tip, yeah, there were 3d-accelerated ones, i've just changed it to blank now.

you can also use a 2d or a more primitive one "clock" is really nice (and simple)

wdemoss wrote:

I'm not sure the best way to translate gobly-gook into clear language, its kinda like crap, ....  or crazy ... crap, or something like that. smile sorry for the inconsice language. I will try and keep aware of that in future posts.

-wd

feel free to use whatever language (as long as you stay nice to people :-) ) ... from the context we non native english speakers can then learn some more words wink

#5 2004-03-12 22:06:17

wdemoss

i'm beginning to think it is not a result of using 3d screensavers. When i came back from lunch today at work, the screen was again messed up, even though i had on the blank screensaver.

To try to be a little more precise about what the screen looks like i would describe it as looking like the side of a hill after a large snow fall at dusk. Its mostly white, but with a few blue and grey ripples in it. The image is static, so it doesn't move. What scares me about it is that it might cause burn in on my laptop screen.

Any advice would be appriciated.

#6 2004-03-12 23:05:06

dp
Website

maybe it's the binary NVIDIA driver, or the kernel-related ... try to use a more primitive window-manager to try if it is not kde/screensaver ... maybe it's general problem (fluxbox or something like this lightweight)

Board footer