You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-31 10:13:35

MauvaisJoueur

[Solved] PulseAudio - autostart and PnP functionality

Hi,

For quite some time I had no sound issue on my system. One day, I stopped hearing everything. Weeks or months later I investigated and could "resolve" the issue by reinstalling pulseaudio and executing :

pulseaudio --start

Now sound's back, feels good, but I am having two concerns :

• I can't autostart pulseaudio through systemd. According to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio, there's a pulseaudio.socket enabled by default. The thing is this systemd socket is missing from my installation, why ? Should I populate /etc/xdg/autostart ?

• Plug and Play doesn't work as expected. When I disconnect/reconnect my jack's speakers, sound is muted and I have to use the command line to get sound back out. I don't understand what the package pulseaudio-jack provides exactly. Is it related to this problem ? I've installed the package and it looks like PnP works now but only for the jack on the front of the computer case, NOT for the jack on the back of the case (on the I/O plate).

Note : My system runs KDE and I have the plasma-pa package installed.

I'd appreciate some guidance,
MauvaisJoueur

Last edited by MauvaisJoueur (2018-12-31 17:11:50)

#2 2018-12-31 15:03:34

Ropid

Re: [Solved] PulseAudio - autostart and PnP functionality

About the systemd service and socket units, you are perhaps looking at the global unit list, not at the list for your user. To see your user's systemd stuff, run "systemctl --user list-unit-files" and "systemctl --user list-units". If you want to play around with enabling or disabling those, you also have to add the "--user" parameter to the "systemctl" command line.

The 'pulseaudio-jack' package is related to the "JACK" audio server daemon. It's not about physical audio jacks, it's just the name of that program. JACK is a sort of alternative to PulseAudio. The pulseaudio-jack package is to make programs that normally use PulseAudio for output run through JACK.

#3 2018-12-31 17:11:04

MauvaisJoueur

Re: [Solved] PulseAudio - autostart and PnP functionality

@Ropid
Thanks a lot for the informations.

Actually the issue I had was more problematic than I thought as after I did reboot the system no sound device was detected. lspci et modprobe were OK though. I could get the sound working once more by flushing everything related to PulseAudio and installing it once more, but on the next reboot the sound was lost again.

So I found the ultimate fix. My tests show that it keeps working reboot after reboot AND I get full PnP functionality on every jack port. Two things to do :

1. Get rid of that *** PulseAudio by removing every package and the /etc/pulse directory

2. pacman -S alsa-firmware alsa-utils

Hurray,
MauvaisJoueur

Board footer