mahyar
Website

kde automount w/ dbus & hal problems [fixed]

I fixed it by changing one line in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf

{allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/}
to
{deny send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/}
change squigly brakets, {} , to angle brakets <>

But now i'm somewhat worried about unkown security problems (if there is any,  I can't think of any).

--------------------

I heard that you can get kde to automagically automount for you if you run the dbus & hal daemons before starting it.  It does so to a point where kde pops up a dialog box whenever i put in a removable storage device (complete with the correct volume label) but when i actually go to open/mount the sucker, it gives me this error message i don't understand and it doesn't mount the bugger.

Error Message:
"A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

I created the /media folder, I added the user running kde to the dbus and hal user groups and I made sure that dbus ran before hal.  What do I do?

I also did some experimenting and found out that running kde under root makes everything work fine, but I can't do it as a normal user.  Which means some permission problem that I can't figure out yet.

#2 2006-08-04 13:27:05

test1000

Re: kde automount w/ dbus & hal problems [fixed]

add your user to storage group. hal won't automount unless the user is in storage group.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

Board footer