You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-03 19:48:31

Jules

Windows on Archlinux laptop [Solved]

Hi all,

I'm currently running Archlinux but now I want to add Windows.
My system is configured as :
Single harddrive
sda1 ext /boot
sda2 swap
sda3 XFS /
Grub is installed on the MBR

I've encountered 2 problems
1)  Will Windows screw up  Grub? If so, how can I reinstall grub?
2) When I want to partition the free space during Windows installation, it complains that  a maximum of 3 (primary) partitions is supported. When I partition using cfdisk I can add a 4th primary partition(?). Windows setup sees the new partition as F, I saw people mention the map command in menu.lst, should I use this? (and how)

Any help is very much appreciated.

Jules

#2 2006-08-04 07:42:26

noriko
Website

Re: Windows on Archlinux laptop [Solved]

ok... i don't know how much help this will be .. sinc e i haven't got enough time right now walk you through it..
but i'll tell you everything you need to do..

windows can't create a new partition because u r allowed only three primary ones..
so i'd recomend using gparted in linux, it's hella fast... you'll need to create a new partiton, but of type : logical, that way you can stick other partitions below it... you maybe need to edit systems files, mayeb not.. so i'd recomend burning  a live cd first.. www.slax.org is pretty fast.. and lightweight.. anyway..

you may get this logical partition in there, if u delete the swap partition, resize/move the linux partition up, and then resize it so you have some free space for a logical partition... then u create a windows and swap partition on it..

after installing windows, you 'll need to get back to linux... just google: booting linux from windows..or install grub to  a floppy disk..
and run:
grub-install /dev/sda

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#3 2006-08-04 12:16:45

Jules

Re: Windows on Archlinux laptop [Solved]

Hi all,

I installed windows on the 4th primary partition (made with cfisk), rebooted (no grub as expected), ran arch setup from cd, went to the set mount points option and reinstalled grub.
Easier than I thought.

Cheers,
Jules

Board footer