You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-10 14:51:45

arch_jsb

Slight annoyance with this forum software.

I've always been partial to SMF or one of the paid ones... but... this forum
always passed as  a decent 3rd til this issue
With 'view first unread' on this forum, in posts originating not since the last login , as for example a few days worth or more of replies, the browser lands on DAYS AGO posts and when one scrolls down manually, has to guess as to which is the actual FIRST UNREAD.   Is that seen by anyone else, if not disregard this post, and if so, can we switchover to SMF or another?
This is the only forum on which I see this occur, vs say, openbsd's
daemonforums, which behave precisely as one might wish.

#2 2019-01-10 14:57:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Slight annoyance with this forum software.

Can you be more explicit.  How do we replicate what you are seeing?  What is this "view first unread" feature?  I see links for "Posted | New | Active | Unanswered", are you referring to one of those?  Or is this somewhere else?

And what do you mean by the first unread?  Have you read every single thread on these forums since it's origin?  If not, the first unread should be from over a decade ago.  Do you mean most recent unread?

As for this community changing the forum software to someting completely different just to suite your tastes - that's not likely.  What I would really like to see in this forum is a setting that enforces reasonably sane use of punctuation in posts.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-01-10 15:01:07)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-01-11 15:55:15

arch_jsb

For instance, Post your handy self made utilities. 
I right click 'view first unread... and it puts me on the 12-27 entry, to scroll down from, which is NOT the first unread. rather the one below it.
but in a plurality/majority of the cases,  it puts the initial browser view way earlier than that... meaning I have no way of knowing in
where to start reading the thread except by guesswork.  This is doubly bad if
there are say, 4 posts per hour.   
to illustrate.
hypothetically, if I have not
read 10 posts, having last logged in last morning early, or just 3 posts,
having logged in late in the afternoon yesterday, since the browser does
not know my actual last read post, or the forum software, I have to either
read extra posts again, wasting time, or risk leaving posts unread, and
missing key points that might be critical to the thread. Further, I don't know
which category the reading of the thread, continued, falls into.

#4 2019-01-11 16:12:36

frostschutz

You mean the [ New post ] link in the thread list? There are some old discussions about it ( https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=227952 )

If this is tracked with a session cookie only, then it just won't be too reliable. (Cookie size is limited and session cookies just get lost a lot.) On the plus side it works for guests...

Other forum softwares do have more sophisticated systems in place ( members only ).

If you're going through an old/long/interesting thread, you could manually bookmark a specific post (click on the date displayed above the post)

Board footer