You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-29 20:03:01

DroidFreak32

UEFI , NVIDIA - Keep the tty & grub resolution "fixed" on reboot

Hi,

I am using a system with Nvidia GTX 970 with driver 410.73 and an Asus m5a99fxpro r2.0 motherboard, disabled CSM and secure boot.
My monitor supports a res of 1600x900
I have Dual booted Linux with Windows.
I have enabled DRM kernel mode setting with the hook and also set the framebuffer resolution successfully and now my grub boots with the max resolution.

The problem however is the tty console.
When I reboot normally, it starts with a resolution of 1024x768
But, if I enter my Asus bios, and manually select the Linux entry in boot menu, the tty loads with full 1600x900 res.

running

dmesg | grep efifb

on "normal" reboot and on manually selecting the entry from my motherboards's boot entry shows different results, i.e:
Normal:

efifb: mode is 1024x768x32

Manually selecting:

efifb: mode is 1600x900x32

Same thing with

fbset

Normal

#: sudo fbset 
mode "1024x768-76"

Manual:

#: sudo fbset 
mode "1600x900-77"

EDIT: Also

hwinfo --framebuffer

as root shows no output  so I can't post it here
Another user mentioned a similar issue here but I don't use rEFInd and the conversation goes above my head.

Can anyone explain to me why or how does this happen and if there's any possible way I can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DroidFreak32 (2018-10-29 20:05:27)

#2 2019-01-10 20:46:50

Vizitor

Re: UEFI , NVIDIA - Keep the tty & grub resolution "fixed" on reboot

Did You ever manage to find a solution for this mistery?
(I reinstalled system today and noticed this behavior. And I do not remember was it the same before reinstallation of Arch, because Arch was not set in bios as first OS to boot. Today, after executing

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Arch

it becomes first boot OS, so I noticed this behavior)

#3 2019-01-10 20:56:26

DroidFreak32

Vizitor wrote:

Did You ever manage to find a solution for this mistery?
(I reinstalled system today and noticed this behavior. And I do not remember was it the same before reinstallation of Arch, because Arch was not set in bios as first OS to boot. Today, after executing

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Arch

it becomes first boot OS, so I noticed this behavior)

Nope, the ONLY workaround I know is to manually select the arch entry in my uefi

#4 2019-01-11 21:20:08

Vizitor

Today I "reorganized" system from using GRUB to Using UEFI directly.
I removed GRUB, set ESP to be mounted on /boot (was on /boot/efi), moved vmlinuz-linux initramfs-linux.img to ESP, rebuilded (just in case) mkinitcpio, then executed

# efibootmgr --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --create --label "Arch Linux" --loader /vmlinuz-linux --unicode 'root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX rw initrd=\initramfs-linux.img'

Power-on or Reboot now have correct (1920x1080, for my monitor) resolution without manualy invoking Boot Menu (F8) from bios and selecting same OS just to have correct resolution.
Although this is some kind of solution, original issue still remains a mistery.

#5 2019-01-12 04:24:19

DroidFreak32

Vizitor wrote:

Today I "reorganized" system from using GRUB to Using UEFI directly.
I removed GRUB, set ESP to be mounted on /boot (was on /boot/efi), moved vmlinuz-linux initramfs-linux.img to ESP, rebuilded (just in case) mkinitcpio, then executed

# efibootmgr --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --create --label "Arch Linux" --loader /vmlinuz-linux --unicode 'root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX rw initrd=\initramfs-linux.img'

Power-on or Reboot now have correct (1920x1080, for my monitor) resolution without manualy invoking Boot Menu (F8) from bios and selecting same OS just to have correct resolution.
Although this is some kind of solution, original issue still remains a mistery.

This probably won't work in dual boot systems right? We'd still need grub then

#6 2019-01-12 07:42:19

Vizitor

DroidFreak32 wrote:

This probably won't work in dual boot systems right? We'd still need grub then

Probably not IF You have only one HDD/SSD.
I have couple of them, so in my case the best rule is "One OS - One disk".

On my comp, Arch is set as default, and when I need other OS - it still work by invoking BootMenu (F8) and manually select it.

Supposing You have two HDD/SSD, and If Your Linux - Windoz usage ratio is 50-50, with EFISTUB You have 50% of time less to go into BootMenu (and correct resolution smile .

BTW, since I recently "discovered" Steam+Proton, my Linux - Windoz usage ratio is 99-1 ( I can't turn-off some motherboard lights from BIOS, only from Windoz. (Automatic turn-on of the motherboard lights happens after unpluging-plugging power from wall)

#7 2019-01-12 12:40:45

V1del
Forum Moderator

It will work on dual boot systems, that's one of the big benefits of UEFI that you technically don't need your own boot loader anymore and you should be able to switch the UEFI entries using your own UEFI's boot loader (reachable with some button like F12 or something, varying between motherboard vendors)

Board footer