You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-11 16:37:37

Scriptor

[SOLVED]Gnome and wayland with nvidia card

Hello,

I am desperately trying to use wayland instead of Xorg with my GTX 1050 card, but without any luck.

I am able to run Gnome under X11 without any problems. I am using gdm as my display manager.

From what I understood through my researches, if I'm not wrong, wayland will only work with the nouveau drivers.

Unfortunately every time I try to install the nouveau drivers I get a black screen on boot without any messages.

I made sure that I did not have vga= or nomodeset in my kernel parameters.

When booting with the nouveau driver I am unable to access any tty, I only get a black screen, so I have no idea where the problem lies.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Last edited by Scriptor (2019-01-11 19:01:53)

#2 2019-01-11 16:45:58

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]Gnome and wayland with nvidia card

Bear in mind that running that card on nouveau instead of nvidia will reduce it's performance to about 5% of what you're currently getting.

This may not be an issue for you if all you do is desktop work but any sort of gaming/3d will be a no-go.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2019-01-11 16:58:53

Scriptor

Thank you for your answer.

I understand that changing from nvidia to nouveau will decrease the performance.

But by keeping the nvidia drivers I won't be able to run wayland, won't I ?

Thank you very much in advance.

#4 2019-01-11 17:05:07

V1del
Forum Moderator

Pretty much yes, though they did at one point implement Wayland over nvidia's GBM last I've known is that it was disabled again due to instability/slowness. Either way if you want to even attempt to run wayland over nvidia, you will have to at least enable modesetting by adding

nvidia-drm.modeset=1

to your kernel parameters.

FWIW as far as I know noveau doesn't really support Pascal GPUs yet and even if, the performance implications would still apply.

#5 2019-01-11 19:01:42

Scriptor

Thank you for your answer.

I think I'll then stay with X11.

Board footer