You are not logged in.

#6476 2019-01-13 21:24:44

Slithery
Administrator

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Ionized wrote:

I am committed to using only free (Libre) software and I support the FSF - which is part of the reason for the switch.

Then maybe Parabola might be a better distro for you?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6477 2019-01-13 21:31:40

Ionized

Thank you,

my mistake :0)

#6478 2019-01-13 21:36:30

Ionized

I only heard of Parabola after I installed Arch so I figured I would use it for a while. The Wiki is excellent - I used it often even for the other distros. I research my packages before I download them and I want to focus on a minimal install mainly terminal based. I'm running i3 gaps with i3 bar, Ranger, Vim, and Mutt - although I haven't quite gotten Mutt configured yet.

-Ian

#6479 2019-01-13 23:31:58

Computer, Arch.

Hello from Texas.

Thanks for the forum and the Wiki repository of knowledge.

May all of your bashing(s) be done in Arch, and not the local bar.

#6480 2019-01-15 14:39:05

Gugi
Website

Hello, Im new here smile
Regards,
GugiAllSafe

- I am using Arch BTW

#6481 2019-01-16 05:15:06

bluetechgirl

Not exactly new here, but I lost access to my other forum account along with its associated email and recreated it with proper spelling for blue at the beginning of my username this time. Also been away from arch for quite some time due to using too much windows (finally deleted it). What first got me into arch was that building a Ubuntu system with a minimal base system from the ground up failed because of weird auto configuration and I really wanted to use awesome WM without unity interfering, that and apt is weird. Found this so much easier and although I went a long time using only windows with the occasional Ubuntu until lately, Arch has always been my fav since I started using it. I game a lot and play a variety of games from steam and I am also hoping to get into a cyber security or system admin career.

#6482 2019-01-16 08:18:57

gilles13

hello all

#6483 2019-01-18 10:57:01

nahush

Hello Everyone,
d of
         My name is nahush , i joined the world of Linux 2 years back.it was on /off kind ,but i do understand the basic of the linux (really basic stuff.) though i am currently following some youtube channels such as Distrotube,Linux Tv ,Luke Smith.which made my decision to join the world of Arch . i am kind of a new to all this please support me and help me in stuff that needs to be done.

Thank you all in advance and thanks to Luke smith who pushed me towards Arch thank you A lot!

#6484 2019-01-18 11:54:51

Awebb

Computer, Arch. wrote:

Hello from Texas.

I love that username.

#6485 2019-01-19 15:42:11

Computer, Arch.

Awebb wrote:
Computer, Arch. wrote:

Hello from Texas.

I love that username.

Thanks for the compliment. smile

#6486 2019-01-26 23:06:33

seantum

Hello all,

I am new to Arch Linux. Actually  I've been a Manjaro user for 2 years now.
But I wanted to try install Arch Linux the Arch way and I was successful. Writing from my Arch deepin Linux. wink
The wiki is excellent. Installed Arch two times so far, first in VB Arch Budgie. And now arch lqxt and openbox. But I  wasn't able to configure opbenbox properly, so I decided for deepin. - I've always loved deepin.

Cheers,
Seantum

ArchLinux deepin DE 5.4 LTS kernel

#6487 2019-01-27 01:00:33

R-Savage

Hey Everyone. Long time Linux user here. My main distro that I loved for a long time back in 2004 - 2007 was Gentoo Linux.
Played around with FreeBSD 4.4 and tried out 12.0 just recently. I joined the forum simply for the reason that I watched an install video and took a quick browse at the install guide. Gentoo and Arch seem to be very similar. instead of the command "emerge <packagename> or in bsd pkg install. the pacman system seems a little different but the install procedure is very similar.

I have been using linux since Windows XP first hit the market. my last windows experience was in 2001 with Win2K. Since then I tried numerous distros back in the day redhat, mandrake, slackware, Suse, then Gentoo. I have been off a computer for quite sometime due to my work. the last computer i built was a Dual Intel Xeon 2.8 with prestonia cores back in 2003. yup it is still running. just as a archive server.

Right now just sharing a computer that is my wifes main desktop and she likes Ubuntu. I have an awesome wm desktop running as I like minimal desktops .

Being away from computers and Linux for so long. Its like learning it all over again.

I am from Alberta Canada.

Hello All.

#6488 2019-01-27 16:04:02

rezadh

Hello Archer!!

After do a research for a week by reading wiki and youtube. finally, I just managed installed single boot Arch Linux onto my laptop, yay!!
Have a nice day...

#6489 2019-01-28 14:39:39

Cheyenne

Hello everyone, I finally arrived at Arch Linux. Many years ago I started with Mint, moved on to Crunchbang (first Ubuntu-, then Debian-based). I played with Cub Linux, Puppy Linux and tried out many other mostly lightweight distros.

Again and again I arrived at Arch Wiki and this forum when looking for answers to my questions and I liked the straight-forwardness of the approach taken here. So I decided to give it a try by installing Arch with the Arch-Anywhere script. I really liked the system which unfolded so I decided to give it a try to install vanilla without scripting help. And I succeeded installing Arch with XFCE-Desktop on my own.

I can honestly say I was never happier with an OS than with Arch. I installed it on my home computer and two Laptops, one of them a really old 32 bit machine which I could not get to work with any other distro. An archlinux32 ISO did the trick.

As of now I didn't run into a problem yet which I could not solve with the help of the Wiki or the forum.

I'm so enthusiastic about Arch that I even bought a sweat shirt and a T-Shirt with Arch logo following a link on the Archlinux website. I'm happy to support the community :-)

#6490 2019-01-30 01:12:40

Godric Arji

Hello All,

Just want to say a brief history about myself. I joined the Linux Community a little over 2 yrs ago and started using it as my daily driver. I've distro hopped from mint to arch and even gentoo and I've always come back to arch. I love the ease of arch. I would consider myself an beginner-intermediate user and i do follow some linux channels such as distrotube and chris titus tech. I want to say I am happy to be here and hope to make some friends.

Sincerely,
Godric Arji
Excited Arch User.

#6491 2019-02-06 17:11:46

BizCasual

Not typically one to participate in internet fora, but i suppose there's a first time for everything. I'm already fairly familiar with this site and the wiki, so today i'll finally get around to saying hello. So...hello!

Coming from a lot of informal GNU/L usage, primarily puppy, deb and fedora, a lot less professional usage, and a ...*ahem*load of reading (and just about as much t&e). Would like to get to a point of contributing some day in the foreseeable future, in one form or another. We'll see how that goes.

*Cracks knuckles* Here goes nothin'. Cheers y'all.

#6492 2019-02-07 16:17:48

raysouza

Hello smile

Last edited by raysouza (2019-02-07 16:18:09)

#6493 2019-02-08 13:47:21

he110lud

hello arch linux, wanna have a try out!

#6494 2019-02-10 09:01:46

L1V3th3CH405

Hello everyone,

I am a long time novice linux user, finally took the plunge and learned to install Arch. Anyhow, I hope to learn a lot from all of you and I am very happy to be here...

Cheers!

Last edited by L1V3th3CH405 (2019-02-10 09:14:29)

#6495 2019-02-11 20:04:06

manux-chacarita

Hi all, here Manuel from Buenos Aires, I have tried Arch first time by accident, trying to use a lightweight linux distro in an old laptop, and as soon I saw the results I also installed it in my main desktop pc, and nowadays it's the main distro I use for everyday work as a web developer.
Thank you all for this space, hope to learn a lot with all of you.
big_smile

#6496 2019-02-14 20:00:07

undercover1

Hi!
I love to learn Arch

Last edited by undercover1 (2019-02-14 20:01:37)

#6497 2019-02-15 07:39:09

Awebb

undercover1 wrote:

Hi!
I love to learn Arch

Let's see if you'll learn to love Arch.

#6498 2019-02-19 01:36:34

S7-110

Hello world smile

I am a bit new to linux. In some years past in my early I.T days, I came across but the terminal was a bit intimidating as well as things I wasn't use to since I was more Windows. I am a growing I.T technician, most recent certificates are Network+ where I got a perfect score and Security+. Security got my eye so Linux came to me once more.

I started off with Linux Mint which was going fine and all but there was a software I wanted to use so I had to go to Centos but then it didnt export properly so I decided to go for Arch. I am more of a hands on guy so thus far, everything I have experienced in Arch has allowed me to gain quite a bit of knowledge. Even now, I have another issue with some data recovery and as a result, I learnt of a few more tools to use and then some. Thanks Arch big_smile

#6499 2019-02-19 16:55:08

mmdamin
Website

Hi! I'm a new archer since last thursday.
I have switched from ubuntu to arch in favor of pacman and official deepin distro.
I had less information and I learnt alot while I was installing and configuring my system.
I though a thing like ubi-quity will greet me to arch world but only thing I saw was zsh waiting for my input. so I tried to find something to install arch, a script or TUI installer, but only thing I found was installation.txt.
when I find out I need to install arch online, I got sad a little, because I didn't have enough charge, but I found another way in this site that works offline, so I did it. that was surprising for me to I can install it by copying files by hand.
More surprising was when I found I have to config everything by hand and systemctl, but it was a new exprience that gave good feelings to me. I love it.
another challenge was making arch bootable. I though it would be complete with a simple grub-install but it didn't work. later I found I need to setup kernel with pacman -S linux instead of simple copying of vmlinuz, but I love my solution that's using the linux efi stub without bootloader. it also shows my motherboard logo instead of kernel message while loading tht mkes a beauty startup.
After that, I install deepin desktop. it is really prefect and beauty. more stable with what I tried in ubuntu. better UI and exprience than Windows and gnome. but lacks a good and complete control center and support for wayland.
I'm happy to install arch and really love it.

#6500 2019-02-19 17:25:41

schard
Website

mmdamin wrote:

when I find out I need to install arch online, I got sad a little, because I didn't have enough charge, but I found another way in this site that works offline, so I did it. that was surprising for me to I can install it by copying files by hand.

I don't know how you installed Arch, but it does not sound to me as if you followed the official installation guide. If that's true, you won't get a lot of support here.
Anyway, welcome.

Board footer