You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-31 22:22:52

VicenteMMOS

[SOLVED] Warframe is completely without audio

This problem started about a couple of days ago.

At first, after installing Lutris and Warframe, the game played normally, no problems or anything out of the ordinary whatsoever. But then, at a certain point, the game sound has completely muted. Actually, the minimized window of the game has a speaker icon, which indicates the system perceives the audio tracks being output from the game. But neither my headphones nor speakers are receiving any audio output. These devices are working properly with any other application, online or local to my computer.

In the Lutris’ page where users can download and install the game (https://lutris.net/games/warframe/), there already are a few recent comments from users experiencing the same problem. One of those comments, from a user named neowave, mentions that in order to fix this problem, people should install the xact Windows DLL component, from the Lutris’ Winetricks command. Furthermore, another user had linked to GloriousEggroll’s blog (https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-g … ency-hell/) where he explains about all dependencies for running Lutris.

So far, I have tried:

1) completely uninstalling and reinstalling Warframe
2) completely uninstalling and reinstalling Lutris AND Warframe
3) installing xact Windows DLL, as suggested by neowave
4) installed all Lutris/Wine dependencies as explained in GloriousEggroll’s blog
5) checked my system as well as game settings for the selected audio device for output
6) reinstalling some audio-related packages, e.g. alsa 

but none of the above has proven to solve this problem. What would you suggest I do in order to investigate further, maybe even find the solution?

Any help is much appreciated. Happy New Year.

Last edited by VicenteMMOS (2019-01-02 17:36:55)

#2 2019-01-02 17:36:39

VicenteMMOS

Re: [SOLVED] Warframe is completely without audio

I don’t know how many people would ever be interested in this topic (if anyone at all), but here’s an update: I want to preface by saying that following the advice I found both in Lutris’ page and in other relevant external sources, I managed to make it work.

Here is what I did:

1) once again uninstalled completely all games(Diablo III and Warframe), and Lutris

2) Then I installed all Lutris' dependencies (https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-g … ency-hell/)

3) installed Lutris and immediately after configured DXVK & esync (https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-Esync)

4) I ran the Warframe install included here in this page, *without* running the full game download as well

5) then, I followed the steps described by neowave to include xact DLL:
    5.1) Right click on the Warframe icon in Lutris and select "Winetricks"
    5.2) Select "Select the default wineprefix," and hit OK
    5.3) Select "Install a Windows DLL or component" and hit OK
    5.4) Scroll all the way down, select "xact" and hit OK
    5.5) Hit cancel twice to exit

6) only then I started the actual download of the game files, by opening the game in Lutris

Before all of this, xact not only didn't make the audio come back, it apparently started making the game crash.

I also noticed that at that time I had not configured DXVK and esync, as advised in the game download page. That might probably be related to the constant game crash. The crashes would happen with less than 5 min gameplay.

Now, I have already tested the game for a few hours of gameplay, and noticed yesterday that it did still crash a couple of times, but those were much fewer and farther between than before I did all these things. Today, it didn’t crash at all. The framerate isn’t all that great, though, fluctuating between 40 to 120 fps, both in solo and in group missions.

Either way, the game has sound again, and is behaving reliably during missions. I don't know if this post will be of help to anyone, I hope it does. I know I didn’t do much testing yet, and the framerate is low, but at least there’s sound again.

#3 2019-01-03 14:43:27

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

At first I thought this might be  a good addition to an archlinux wiki page for lutris, then I looked further.

sudo pacman -Sy
sudo pacman -S wine-staging winetricks
sudo pacman -S long-list-of-packages-that-can-probably-be-trimmed-down-to-half-its-length

Using pacman -Sy followed by pacman -S equals doing partial updates and is a great way to create problems on Arch Linux.
No idea who writes gloriouseggroll.tv but I doubt they use Arch.
(it may work fine on manjaro as they use pacman differently then us).

Apart from the esync stuff the rest of the instructions are unlikely to be lutris-specific and should work with any wine-staging prefix .

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2019-01-03 14:43:49)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2019-01-04 09:57:07

VicenteMMOS

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Using pacman -Sy followed by pacman -S equals doing partial updates and is a great way to create problems on Arch Linux.
No idea who writes gloriouseggroll.tv but I doubt they use Arch.
(it may work fine on manjaro as they use pacman differently then us).

Apart from the esync stuff the rest of the instructions are unlikely to be lutris-specific and should work with any wine-staging prefix .

Interesting thoughts. GloriousEggroll is just one guy, not an entire group of people, and he actually uses Arch Linux. That's his catch, so to speak, that he offers guides as to install games and utilities in Arch Linux. Here are a couple of links you can check for yourself, if you're interested at all in knowing more about him:

https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUMSHX … 9e8silnVNw
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll

Edit:
Here, I would like to also link to a petition I created in order to request the developers of the game to port it to Linux. Again, I don't know how many people here might be interested in this topic, or in Warframe in particular, but I kindly ask that people at least read the petition, and who knows, maybe someone would even sign it. Here is the link to the petition:
https://www.change.org/p/digital-extrem … e_petition

Last edited by VicenteMMOS (2019-01-04 10:00:58)

#5 2019-01-16 05:57:35

bluetechgirl

The devs will not listen to a petition like that unless at least 40% of players want it, you will need FAR more than just the 100 on your petition page. Most do not care. I have found that configuring it with dxvk and esync and then turning off reverb in the audio settings as well as using an FPS limit instead of vsync fixed the crashing. Also make sure you have the 32 bit audio libraries since wine needs them. xact can help, but Faudio is also good in case that doesn't work. A part of your performance issues might be setting your FPS limit too high, using a low powered GPU, or turning on too many fancy graphics effects. EDIT: typo, minor wording change

Last edited by bluetechgirl (2019-01-16 06:01:22)

#6 2019-01-16 17:52:23

VicenteMMOS

Thank you for your reply, it was very insightful. I have somehow managed to make it work well enough. Being the kind of gamer that prefers performance before eye-candy in any given day of the week, my in-game settings are as low as I can possibly get them to be. Reverb is off ever since Windows OS xD my fps limiter is at "uncapped". You suggest I cap it? I'm on an i7-7700K and GTX 1080Ti, with a 240 Hz monitor, so I didn't really want to cap it... =/

Anyway, after I reinstalled everything, meaning Lutris, Wine and Warframe (tbh, I even reinstalled Arch at some point =P This is actually my 3rd Arch OS installation), I made it a point to install each and every dependency listed in the links I put in my previous reply, and I admit, it has been working nice, so far. No audio crashes, and inside Lutris and Wine, it's playing at about 150+ FPS in group, and 200+ FPS solo missions, with sound! big_smile I'm happy with how it's working, even though admittedly, in Windows it does run smoother. Well, can't make an omelette, right?

DXVK and esync seem to be working fine, if I were to say based on those FPS outputs. xact did cause me crashes, but that was at a time before I had installed all the dependencies before installing the applications and game. I didn't really try Faudio, but it's nice to know someone has had good results with it. I'll keep it in mind if I ever need it.

I know my efforts with the little petition I created might just be in vain, but still, for what it's worth, it's worth a shot. At least I'm trying something I believe is right. I hope DE will one day port it, hell, I hope Linux becomes a popular gaming OS overall! I don't wish for it to become mainstream, I don't believe it will ever be mainstream and I don't believe it would be good for the Linux community as a whole if it ever did. But I do wish it would become more diffuse, especially among hardcore gamers. Not every kind of gamer, just a niche. It's a bit of a shame devs will suck it up to Windows for so long, just because nobody wants the inconvenience of using a DIY OS... =/

Thank you for your reply!

Last edited by VicenteMMOS (2019-01-16 17:55:47)

#7 2019-01-16 23:16:20

bluetechgirl

Cap your FPS at your refresh rate or use vsync, vsync is broken in a lot of cases, but in some cases it won't be. I would try to lower your refresh rate to at least 120 Hz since a lot of games do not reach a full 240 Hz while running in wine, it can help a lot. 120 Hz is the max frame rate cap you can set in game as far as I know. DE also mentioned some changes to how framerates are calculated in addition to some performance improvements, when that gets implemented then we can expect better performance all around. Again, Faudio is a xact alternative that might be worth looking into if sound is an issue again.

As far as Linux port goes I see some big issues with it versus running it in wine. The biggest is that the game version needs to be exactly the same as on PC in order to cross play with it. A Linux version can lag behind PC especially in times where getting a big update out is crucial. There is a problem if Linux would be treated as its own platform, and that is playerbase. Not a whole lot of people use Linux for gaming so the playerbase is going to be really small. When you have a low playerbase and not a whole lot of new players you will get a toxic elitist environment without much activity that is unlike the community Warframe is known for, which can damage Digital Extremes reputation. I want a Linux version as bad as you do, but until cross play stops being an issue it cannot happen or it will cause more harm than good. I think the best bet for DE should they want a Linux version is to officially support running in wine and make some minor tweaks to the game to avoid some of the issues from running in wine without their support.

EDIT: typo

Last edited by bluetechgirl (2019-01-16 23:17:03)

Board footer