You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-11 19:09:09

jeunez

Delay on sound/volume input keys

My issue is exactly the issue described here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=224391 but a real solution has not been given there.
I'm creating a new topic since I don't want to bump old topics and the topic was posted in the wrong category.

tl;dr of the topic in the link:
I'm having a 2 seconds delay/lag when changing the volume (up and down). This does not happen for other hotkeys including mute audio.
The delay does not occur when the program "pavucontrol" is opened or when a youtube video is playing, which is kind of weird.

I'm using Arch Linux with a cinnamon desktop environment

Has anyone experienced the same thing or does anyone have a potential solution for this issue?

#2 2018-10-12 07:14:00

olive

Re: Delay on sound/volume input keys

I usually don't use pulse audio, but if I understand your issue well, the delay happen only when you use the `pactl` via a shortcut key binding. Does this delay also happen when you use the pactl command directly on a terminal? If yes, does this generate any error message/warning, etc... I assume that the problem is not the keys themselves, can you check for sure?  With xev, or at a lower level with `showkey` on the console  (not under a terminal on X).

Last edited by olive (2018-10-12 07:14:55)

#3 2018-10-12 07:39:11

V1del
Forum Moderator

Might be some power saving, and pavucontrol opens up all audio streams, and youtube is likely demanding enough that whatever is activated power related gets kicked into gear. Are you using a power saving daemon like tlp or laptop-mode-tools or similar? Which device are you controling with your pactl command? Can you post the exact command used as well as

pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs
systool -vm snd_hda_intel

during a delay situation?

Last edited by V1del (2018-10-14 11:44:40)

#4 2018-10-14 09:10:37

jeunez

olive wrote:

I usually don't use pulse audio, but if I understand your issue well, the delay happen only when you use the `pactl` via a shortcut key binding. Does this delay also happen when you use the pactl command directly on a terminal? If yes, does this generate any error message/warning, etc... I assume that the problem is not the keys themselves, can you check for sure?  With xev, or at a lower level with `showkey` on the console  (not under a terminal on X).

The delay happens on the terminal with the command "pactl set-sink-volume 1 +20%", as well as the command "amixer", it does not generate any errors.. And i'm sure it isnt the keys

#5 2018-10-14 09:19:41

jeunez

V1del wrote:

Might be some power saving, and pavucontrol opens up all audio streams, and youtube is likely demanding enough that whatever is activated power related gets kicked into gear. Are you using a power saving daemon like tlp or laptop-mode-tools or similar? Which device are you controling with your pactl command? Can you post the exact command used as well as

pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs
systool -vm snd-hda-intel

during a delay situation?

I'm not using anything power saving related (its an almost-fresh linux arch installation)

I use the command "pactl set-sink-volume 1 +xx%"

output pacmd list-sinks: https://pastebin.com/EZgf77LP

Interesting thing, at the time I tested this my PS4 controller was connected and so I tried to set the ps4 controller as the output device and guess what.. no delay on the ps4 controller.. interesting

Last edited by jeunez (2018-10-14 09:20:13)

#6 2018-11-08 16:58:53

zjeffer

Have you fixed your problem yet? I'm having the exact same issues!

EDIT: this fixed it for me: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Deskto … 3731#M2065

Last edited by zjeffer (2018-11-08 23:36:40)

#7 2019-01-20 17:54:45

nonnymoose

zjeffer wrote:

Thank you for that! That fixed it for me also. I can't help but wonder why in the world the default configuration would be such a long delay, though.

Board footer