You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-04 23:31:31

GoneWacko
Website

mysql-python package anomaly?

Hi all smile
My first post on the forum and I wasn't entirely sure if htis topic should go in here, in Networking, Servers and Protection or in Pacman & Package Upgrade Issues, but seemed like it was valid enough smile

Recently I started using Arch Linux (loving it so far!).
I'm a Django developer for a hosting company I co-own.

The databases we use are powered by MySQL, so to develop my django projects under Arch I need the mysql-python package.

The package mysql-python package I installed through pacman wouldn't work properly (whatever I did, whenever the database was involved, I'd get weird exceptions (ProgrammingErrors or "Closing a closed connection"), so instead I went and built it myself using ABS.

Two surprises were in store for me: · Considering the possibility that a patch (of sorts) that was being applied by it's PKGBUILD might break it's compatibility with django (so to speak),  I decided to try building it with the sed line commented out. This built and worked just fine!
· Thinking that may have solved it, I started writing this topic. But in the process of writing it, I figured that it might also have started working because of other reasons. So I uncommented the sed line again and built and installed the package again. Now it still worked fine.

So now my expectation is that there's either SOMETHING different about my configuration/installed packages compared to the maintainer's (Damir Perisa), or I didn't properly uninstall the mysql-python package after my first ABS compile (#1 in the list above), in which case the package in pacman are entirely dodgy smile

I'm not sure if this is known, normal or at all interesting, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to report it and/or ask if anyone knows why this happened.

#2 2006-08-05 09:55:04

arooaroo
Website

Re: mysql-python package anomaly?

Can't see why this happened other than the original package being corrupted in some way.

I think others could offer an explanation, but in the meantime I'd class this as a <b>bug</b>, and so you should report this in Arch's bug tracker (the icon is near the top-right.)

#3 2006-08-05 11:39:25

GoneWacko
Website

Re: mysql-python package anomaly?

Ah crap wink

I checked the forum for like an hour seeing if this issue was known.
Didn't realise I should have checked the bug tracker smile
Looks like it's already been reported 4 days ago.

Oh well.

Board footer