You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-18 12:01:02

c0rax

Reducing temperature limits for HP Spectre x360 13-ap0003ns

I am running arch on a HP Spectre x360, in particular their latest revision 13-ap0003ns.

I'm having no major problems so far, had to blacklist a couple kernel modules at first but it seems to be running fine with them now.

Something I'm having trouble with is that the temperature seems to shoot up as soon as I put the laptop under load, and the fans don't kick in until the temperature is at 100. This is my "sensors" output, after running lm-sensors with all defaults. 'pwmconfig' reports no pwm-capable sensor modules installed. I have looked at the fan speed control and temperature sections of the wiki, and while they have dedicated sections for other laptop brands, there aren't any for HP laptops.

From my lack of PWM capable sensor modules, I assume that I won't be able to fine tune my fan speeds. Still, I would probably feel a bit safer if I could reduce the limit at which fans kick in (which I assume is the "high" value in the 'sensors' output I pasted) to at least 80. How do I go about this?

Thanks!

#2 2019-01-22 09:42:31

cdutsov

Re: Reducing temperature limits for HP Spectre x360 13-ap0003ns

I am no expert, but I had fan problems with my Asus VivoBook Pro and I managed to solve them using NBFC. You can try to install the nbfc package from AUR and then do:

# nbfc config -a "HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx"

Or at least that's the config I can find on my installation. You can search for configs for your laptop or edit it yourself. The config files are located in /opt/nbfc/Configs on a default installation.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: If you have an Intel processor you can use also this undervolt utility. It has undervolting and temperature limiting capabilities. smile You can find it in AUR-undervolt also.

PS: It seems that your model of laptop is listed in the tested models so it should run just fine. Happy computing!

Last edited by cdutsov (2019-01-22 09:46:31)

#3 2019-01-22 12:34:40

c0rax

Hey, you're a hero! Tried NBFC and now everything seems fine. Threw a 100% CPU 100% mem compilation at it; the fans kicked in gradually and it never went over 70 degrees.

Looks like that takes care of the problem for now. Thanks!

#4 2019-01-22 12:39:55

c0rax

Hmmm hold on... I don't know why, but across reboots, sometimes the fan works perfectly and sometimes it doesn't start at all. I suspect the problem may be at the BIOS level... And it looks like changing the "fan always on" setting doesn't achieve much.

#5 2019-01-22 13:04:19

cdutsov

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but did you enable the NBFC service with systemctl enable nbfc.service ?

#6 2019-01-23 18:04:27

c0rax

cdutsov wrote:

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but did you enable the NBFC service with systemctl enable nbfc.service ?

Yep! I did, and it reports the service as healthy and the fan control running in "auto" mode.

After playing around with it for a few days, I've found that the fans tend to start and stop when needed but not necessarily in sync with the sensor output I can see myself. I guess it's okay, as long as they keep the temperature under control. I'm not exactly sure how accurate the temperature reported by the kernel is anyway; it seems to shoot up and down too fast to be a real physical measurement. It feels more like it's making predictions based on load, is this possible?

In any case, seems like I'm not getting insane >85degree spikes anymore, which is encouraging, so I'll relax about it for now.

Board footer