You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-27 01:34:28

LinuxRocks

[SOLVED] ASUS ROG GU501GM Prime/Bumblebee

Hi All,

So I want to try Arch again after a really long time using Fedora and Ubuntu, however Im a little nervous about setting up a GPU switcher for my laptop which uses both an INTEL card and an NVIDIA card.

According to the documentation about PRIME (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME) there is a note about not using it for GPU switching, but to use Bumblebee, however, on the Bumblebee howto page, there is a note about not using it but using Prime. Im confused LOL. Are there clear instructions on how to install Nvidia drivers for my discrete card as well as allowing my Intel card to be used if I want to conserve power on my laptop battery?

For example, both Fedora 28/29 as well as Ubuntu 18.10 use nvidia-prime where I can select intel or nvidia and reboot. Then I can have 3-4 hours on my batter if on Intel and use Nvidia for games while plugged into a wall for power.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Joe

Last edited by LinuxRocks (2019-01-27 22:49:02)

#2 2019-01-27 11:17:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] ASUS ROG GU501GM Prime/Bumblebee

The "closest" to nvidia-prime on Ubuntu, where you default to intel card and switch to the full utility of nvidia card on demand by logging out/restarting xorg would be nvidia-xrun or variants thereof.

#3 2019-01-27 21:54:47

LinuxRocks

V1del wrote:

The "closest" to nvidia-prime on Ubuntu, where you default to intel card and switch to the full utility of nvidia card on demand by logging out/restarting xorg would be nvidia-xrun or variants thereof.

Thanks V1del! I would have hoped that someone would have ported it to other distros by now.

Its a little better than nvidia-xrun in that I can, after a reboot, still work in the same screen as a game once I start playing, so I can quickly alt-tab out of the game to check a quick e-mail or chat. Sounds like this isnt possible with nvidia-xrun if its in a completely different screen/login.

Perhaps I look at the package on Ubuntu and cross it over so other distros can use it. Looks like its mostly just python that modifies some system files prior to a reboot.

Thanks for the reply though!

Joe

Last edited by LinuxRocks (2019-01-27 21:55:26)

#4 2019-01-27 22:32:45

anotherAlex154

Ye, nvidia-xrun can still do that. ArchWiki just says that the X-server / session can only be "binded" to one card at a time, which is what nvidia-prime does. You can still tab over to another application, it'll just be rendered with your discrete card instead. (; at least that's what I'm getting out of it...

"Hey hey hey, everyone part like the Red Sea, it's me" -- Shaggy Rogers

#5 2019-01-27 22:38:49

LinuxRocks

anotherAlex154 wrote:

Ye, nvidia-xrun can still do that. ArchWiki just says that the X-server / session can only be "binded" to one card at a time, which is what nvidia-prime does. You can still tab over to another application, it'll just be rendered with your discrete card instead. (; at least that's what I'm getting out of it...

Oh! Well then, maybe Ill have to give it a go. I just want to make it as simple as possible smile.

I also just though of running though the nvidia card all the time as I rarely have the thing off the power brick anyway LOL.

#6 2019-01-27 22:45:50

anotherAlex154

I feel ya dude, I have an optimus laptop as well and dealing with it for the first time was super spooky in Arch. I decided to just keep the card turned off with bbswitch cause I didn't want the extra power draw, but this xrun thing looks super promising... imma try it too. Oh yea btw, mark the thread [SOLVED] if yer good (;

"Hey hey hey, everyone part like the Red Sea, it's me" -- Shaggy Rogers

Board footer