You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-28 03:37:10

jaedfeiv

[SOLVED]White light burst after Loading Linux Linux but before Loading

I hope I am posting in the correct forum.
I recently purchased a refurbished HP Elitebook 8570p preloaded with Windows 7. I have been using Windows 7 for roughly a month now and decided to install Arch as I have on my old Dell Latitude E6400. Everything has been working perfectly fine now on the laptop with Windows. But after finishing the install and booting up, reaching GRUB and selecting Arch, the laptop proceeds to the screen that says Loading Linux Linux and then immediately flashes this white-ish light on the right middle side for a split second and disappears. It will do this whether the laptop has booted up cold or if I have been in my Windows Manager for ~30 minutes and rebooted. The size and intensity never really changes. Is this Linux related or something not apparent during my Windows usage (i.e. faulty yet seemingly working screen ? Are there any monitor stress tests that I can perform that would weed out this issue? If it matters at all, my model has the dedicated AMD Radeon 7570M.
I was just able to hook the laptop up to an external monitor but with the laptop lid closed and the external did not produce the same light. Am I correct in assuming this is a screen issue?

Last edited by jaedfeiv (2019-01-28 04:18:31)

#2 2019-01-28 04:08:34

circleface

Re: [SOLVED]White light burst after Loading Linux Linux but before Loading

You might just be experiencing a flash when the monitor changes to modesetting and thus the resolution changes.  It shouldn't hurt anything, if that is all that is wrong.  I have an AMD RX 560 and experience a slight flash on the monitor when booting and the modesetting kicks in.

#3 2019-01-28 04:11:47

jaedfeiv

Ahhh. That is making me feel a lot better then. May I ask if the white flash is specifically in one area or overall? I'm also curious why the external monitor did not reproduce the same effect.

#4 2019-01-28 04:14:18

circleface

My flash is mostly everywhere, and also I forgot to mention I use an external monitor.  My guess is, your laptop's monitor was initialized first, when the flash would happen, and by the time the external monitor finished turning on, it was already in modesetting mode and thus didn't flash.  Just a guess though, I really don't know enough to say for sure.

Edit: That would also explain why Windows doesn't flash, because Windows doesn't change modes like linux.

Last edited by circleface (2019-01-28 04:14:46)

#5 2019-01-28 04:17:53

jaedfeiv

Okay. Thank you for your replies. That does make sense now with Windows not flashing. I'm going to mark this thread as solved.

Board footer