You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-02 01:14:36

Lumpiasty

[SOLVED] Device not found error

Hi
I wanted to make bootable USB stick with Arch, I installed OS in Virtualbox, everything went smooth, was booting, but when I finally tried to boot it on real machine I got strange error:

Starting version 240
ERROR: device 'UUID=<here uuid>' not found. Skipping fsck.
mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=<here uuid>.
You are now being dropped into emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#_ (keyboard not working here)

I tried it again in VM it was still working. I tried booting it on different computers (Toshiba Tecra R10, HP DC7900 SFF), and it booted like normal. I was able to boot it on first PC (MOBO: MSI B150M Mortar) using fallback image. I ran mkinitcpio -p linux and rebooted and I got opposite problem: it did boot on first PC but didn't on all others (including VM), fallback still working. I did the same on one of BIOS PCs and it returned to original state. I was also able to test it on 1 other similar PC, but with some ASRock MOBO with 4th gen i5 and I got exactly the same results as with MSI PC. So I guess problem is whether PC is using BIOS or UEFI.

I need it to work with as many PCs as possible, including old and new computers, running both UEFI and BIOS, with CPUs from 2008s C2D to 2018s Ryzen with all kinds of GPUs, Plug&Play. And I know that would be much easier on Ubuntu and I had done that previously, but now I want to try running similar configuration on Arch.
Thanks in advance for help.

Last edited by Lumpiasty (2019-02-02 17:37:19)

#2 2019-02-02 01:29:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Device not found error

This is not due to BIOS or UEFI, but just what your description indicates: you will generally not be able to boot an initramfs image tailored for one specific set of hardware on other hardware.  This is exactly what the fallback image is for.  Use that.  Or if you want, disable autodetect for the default initramfs (but then the two will be identical anyways).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-02-02 13:04:45

Lumpiasty

Thanks for advice.
Somehow I missed that on wiki, I disabled autodetect. As I said I need this to be Plug&Play on any hardware so system-specific initramfs makes no sense.
This should be in Newbie corner smile

#4 2019-02-02 13:49:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No worries.  But if it is working now, please mark the thread as [SOLVED] by editing your first post to prepend that to the title.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer