You are not logged in.

#1 2002-08-26 23:20:57

sarah31
Website

Pre install questions

Okay first off:

1. do i have to use devfs? i would perfer not to. If so is there anything I should know?

2. will i need to recompile to add scsi emulation and Nat/masq stuff?

3. i don't see xine in the package list has anyone compiled it successfully? if so let me know the steps you used because I have never been able to install it successfully except using the a Debian system.

4. Do I have the option not to install the major DE's (mind you I will likely instal gnome as it is my favorite of the DE's and I have been looking forward to checking it out)?

5. What is the default display manager?

6. What is the default MTA and is it difficult to set up?

Well i think that covers it for now. I am just in the process of saving some files from Libranet to carry over.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#2 2002-08-27 01:21:46

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: Pre install questions

1. In short, yes.  You would have to change a lot of pathnames if you didn't use DevFS.  Any particular reason you don't like it?
2. Not if you use the stock kernel package, no.  Those are compiled in.
3. No one has made a xine package yet.  I'll build one soon (you're not the first to request it)
4. No DE's are installed unless you request them.  By default, the setup program only installs the programs in the 'base' collection (you can see the pa.ckages by collection in the package list on the website).
5. See above.  No default, install whatever you want.  This is still a distro targeted at competent linux users who know what they want, so I leave it to them to pick their packages.
6. Default (as in, the only one currently in the package set) is Exim, which is my personal favourite.  If your MTA setup is fairly standard, you will not have a problem setting it up.  It's a good piece of software.

HTH

#3 2002-08-27 03:04:37

sarah31
Website

hey doods got it installed but pacman can't connect with ibiblio.org. So do i just try one of the mirrors?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2002-08-27 03:26:00

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Yep.

After you connect and upgrade pacman, the new version should cycle thru mirrors for you automatically.

Board footer