You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-01 17:41:04

xxdoctorhousexx

[SOLVED]Kdialog and "Remote" section in Places

Hello everyone,

i have been searching for a solution to this problem for a while but nothing seems to help (.. or, more likely...) i have missed something. My question is: is there a way to make the kdialog window show the "Remote" section of Dolphin? I need it because i have several mounts and i need to upload/browse for files which are stored in my network mounts. Example: i need to upload a file from my file server (which is mounted) to my internal cloud to which i must use chrome to access; whenever i try to browse for the file i need to upload the kdialog window appears but there's no "Remote" section. I have tried to read the Arch Wiki KDE page, searched in this forum section (i have searched for kdialog...) and googled for some hints on how to solve this issues but i have basically gotten nothing out of all this. I have ran out of ideas, do you have any tricks to make it work?

thanks in advance

(edited because of a typo)

Last edited by xxdoctorhousexx (2019-02-08 14:57:55)

#2 2019-02-01 18:25:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]Kdialog and "Remote" section in Places

Depends on how you have these remotes mounted. If you set them up within Dolphin's "remote" support, these are utilizing KDEs KIO framework for abstracting access to the underlying protocol away from the actual application. One drawback of the KIO library is that it is only supported by applications explicitly developed against it, which holds true for all KDE software and not so much for anything else. So as chromium is not implementing KDE's KIO you cannot access them from chromium directly.

Last edited by V1del (2019-02-01 18:25:53)

#3 2019-02-08 09:14:07

xxdoctorhousexx

Thank you for the detailed answer i now understand much better. Therefore should i mount them "the classic way" with fstab? Or is there another way to do it? Maybe something new i should try?
Thanks again

#4 2019-02-08 11:54:59

LordChaos73

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I mount my shares using smb4k. That way they just show up in Dolphin. Is that any help to you?

#5 2019-02-08 14:00:26

V1del
Forum Moderator

Yes using the in kernel cifs will work or as mentioned something like smb4k. The in-kernel cifs should™ be slightly faster as it doesn't have the userspace overhead (though that difference is quite unlikely to be noticeable)

#6 2019-02-08 14:53:38

xxdoctorhousexx

@LordChaos73: okay i have already tried that but i keep getting this error

the url that was passed is invalid

and apparently i am unable to enumerate the hosts in my subnet (but i am conviced that issue is my fault ofcourse...) still, it's not usable at all actually. The error i get when i try to browse the workgroup is:

Retrieving the list of hosts belonging to domain CONTINUITY failed.Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it

i hava samba installed but i have never set up a smb.conf file... Pardon my ignorance but isn't the smb.conf used basically only by servers rather than simple clients?

@V1del: i guess i will try that way for now, although the smb4k brought up by LordChaos73 surely points at an underlaying problem i have

I will mark this as SOLVED as i have the solution to my needs but i might open a new thread on smb4k if i cannot really figure it out.

thanks again

Board footer