You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-05 09:25:08

crunk1

NoMachine headless - dbus issues when starting desktop envs

Hey all,

First post here. I've done several hours of Googling and a search in these forums. Can't find anything, hopefully someone can help!

I don't think this is an issue with NoMachine itself, but I also admit I'm almost completely unfamiliar with dbus, so forgive my naiveté. There is a server config for NoMachine where you can specify the command to start a desktop environment if no existing X server is running (which I don't have any other X servers running -- I don't think... how can I doublecheck?). I do have xorg-server installed and I uninstalled lightdm and sddm, which I was playing around with earlier.

Example from the NoMachine server config (/usr/NX/etc/node.cfg):

# Specify path and name of the command to start a new virtual desktop,
# by default the X session set on the system.
#
#DefaultDesktopCommand "/usr/sbin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde"
DefaultDesktopCommand "/usr/sbin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4"

I've tried this line with and without `/usr/sbin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session`

When I try xfce4, I can connect, but I get a black screen with a dialog stating:

Unable to contact settings server
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-XXXXXXXXXX: Connection refused

When I try KDE/Plasma, I get a black screen with a dialog:

Could not sync environment to dbus.

Any help? Obviously, I'd be more than happy to provide any additional info.

#2 2019-02-08 19:26:04

TCBear

Re: NoMachine headless - dbus issues when starting desktop envs

I've just read the NoMachine and Xorg wikis because something stands out as missing in your post. Do you have a fake display configured for xorg, an xf86 video dummy installed, or a physical dummy plug on the server?
An X session isn't going to start without something like that, unless there's something I'm not understanding about NoMachine.

Board footer