You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-10 23:09:29

miomio

[SOLVED] Questions on UEFI BIOS update from 1.20 - 1.30 for Thinkpad

UEFI Bios updated.

Is it considered safe to go straight to 1.30 without reaching 1.30 by sequentially progressing through the previous versions in-between?

Also the README suggests:

* restoring the "OS Optimised Defaults" to factory setting
* changing "UEFI/Legacy Boot" to 'Both'

And under a 'caution' sub-heading - "If both the Secure Boot option is Enabled and UEFI Secure Boot in the Main menu of ThinkPad Setup is shown as Off, restoring Factory Keys is needed."

The README is talking about Windows. I use Arch exclusively + dm_crypt w/non-secured (signed) UEFI boot so the /boot partition isn't encrypted. Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but if I restore Factory Keys for Secure Boot as the README suggests, what will this impact? I don't want to wind up with being unable to boot to /dev/sda1. will this damage the LUKS2 header of the hard drive? Or is this a cautionary note because of something specific to Windows?

Also - it looks like there is an update for the USB-C dock firmware. Is this to update the code on the hardware of the dock itself or the code in the laptop hardware that is responsible for the dock port? It isn't clear. Just says "USB-C dock firmware". I have used the geteltorito Perl script to extract the UEFI update from Lenovo's ISO, but are there also tools available to perform the dock firmware update too? Has anyone updated their docks yet?

Last edited by miomio (2019-02-12 23:19:44)

#2 2019-02-11 18:20:26

miomio

Re: [SOLVED] Questions on UEFI BIOS update from 1.20 - 1.30 for Thinkpad

Irrelevant topic?

Last edited by miomio (2019-02-12 23:14:50)

Board footer