You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-05 03:19:58

3z

AL with coLinux

Anyone starting something for AL on coLinux (www.colinux.org) ??
or has idea how it can be done??

any input are welcome!

#2 2004-05-05 07:17:42

potentials

Re: AL with coLinux

Tried to make it work but failed. There's no forum or chatroom for interactive help so I'm stuck here. I don't even know whether the colinux kernel has devfs support or not so  made a static version of my /dev with the help of this  wiki but I still get the "Can't open initial console" message.

#3 2004-05-05 08:48:44

3z

perhaps u can post more info on the steps you've taken and your experience, so we can play around and try to get it to work  big_smile

still vague on what are the steps and where to start looking..

#4 2004-05-05 17:25:32

mr_ed

It's too bad that coLinux doesn't work the other way around (Windows as the Guest rather than the Host).  sad

#5 2004-05-05 17:41:22

apeiro
Daddy
Website

potentials wrote:

Tried to make it work but failed. There's no forum or chatroom for interactive help so I'm stuck here. I don't even know whether the colinux kernel has devfs support or not so  made a static version of my /dev with the help of this  wiki but I still get the "Can't open initial console" message.

Dunno if it will help or not, but with a static /dev tree, you'll need to modify /etc/inittab and change the "vc/[0-9]" lines to be "tty[0-9]".  That's probably why you're getting the "can't open initial console" message.

#6 2004-05-05 17:48:06

potentials

perhaps u can post more info on the steps you've taken and your experience, so we can play around and try to get it to work

Just followed this wiki to make static /dev ...
then followed this wiki to adjust Arch for coLinux

Note that since Arch uses devfs, u have to remount your root say to /mnt/hd and then follow step B in the coLinux wiki as following

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
do

mknod /mnt/hd/dev/cobd$i b 117 $i

done

I'm not even sure I'm on the right track

#7 2004-05-05 18:10:45

potentials

Dunno if it will help or not, but with a static /dev tree, you'll need to modify /etc/inittab and change the "vc/[0-9]" lines to be "tty[0-9]". That's probably why you're getting the "can't open initial console" message.

Thanks for advice but I still get the same old message

VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: IMPLEMENTATION MISSING
Warning: Unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
 daemon: monitor terminated, reason 3
switch_message: freed message a045ff8 (2 to 4)
daemon: module disconnected: console
colinux: shutting down
daemon: daemon cleanup
daemon: removing kernel driver
driver: stopping driver service
driver: removing driver service

#8 2004-05-05 22:33:13

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Do you still have /dev/discs/discX/partY references in your /etc/fstab?

#9 2004-05-05 23:06:13

potentials

Do you still have /dev/discs/discX/partY references in your /etc/fstab?

No, using coLinux own naming scheme (cobd1 cobd2 ... etc).
It should work, dunno what's wrong.

#10 2004-05-06 17:21:32

potentials

OK, got it work. All you have to do is add devfs=mount to the bootparams in default.colinux.xml
Forget about static /dev

#11 2004-05-07 07:44:57

3z

potentials wrote:

Just followed this wiki to make static /dev ...
then followed this wiki to adjust Arch for coLinux

Note that since Arch uses devfs, u have to remount your root say to /mnt/hd and then follow step B in the coLinux wiki as following

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
do

done

I'm not even sure I'm on the right track

potentials wrote:

OK, got it work. All you have to do is add devfs=mount to the bootparams in default.colinux.xml
Forget about static /dev

So is these the only step needed?
followed this wiki to adjust Arch for coLinux[/list]

#12 2004-05-17 23:23:39

potentials

Here's mine

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<colinux>
<block_device index="5" path="DeviceHarddisk0Partition5" enabled="true"></block_device>
<block_device index="6" path="DeviceHarddisk0Partition6" enabled="true"></block_device>
    <bootparams>root=/dev/cobd5 devfs=mount init=3</bootparams>
    <image path="vmlinux"></image>
    <memory size="64"></memory>
    <network index="0" type="tap" name="TAP"</network>
</colinux>

My hard drive is as following:
root partition is /dev/discs/disc0/part6
home partition is /dev/discs/disc0/part7

The most important thing is the "devfs=mount" in the bootparams and to take care that "DeviceHarddisk0Partition5" means /dev/hda6 and NOT /dev/hda5

If everything went fine, you should be able to boot to your Archlinux installation without any modifications, but you won't be able to mount /home (that's if you have a seperate partition for /home).

To solve this issue, boot to your Arch (real booting and not with coLinux) then
1) Remount your root partition to say /mnt/hd
2) Create /mnt/hd/dev/cobdN devices

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

do

done

3) Edit /etc/fstab replacing each /dev/hda6 or /dev/discs/disc0/part6 with /dev/cobd5 and so on.

Just one last thing, when editing your fstab it is adviced to add new lines and comment the old working lines, because after modifying your fstab thing will be the other way around, coLinux will boot correctly and mount your /home while real booting of Archlinux won't mount your /home

#13 2004-07-27 02:37:17

dp
Website

hi all colinux fans

i had a look at this thingy and on the way installed cygwin and colinux.debian on my winXP - cool - now i have kate and gqview on my windows working - wow!! i never searched for such a thing to run linux binaries on win

on the other hand: win is not that stable, but as it works for now, it is very usefull having such a thing

i choosen debian, because gentoo is gentoo :-) but if someone of you manage to make a image for an arch installation (2.6.x, udev, ...) i'll change my debian for it :-)

make an arch image for it is not that easy, as 2.6.x is not supported as far i read

your approach till now was to make linux boot as windows-service instead of an image, right? how is the state? any success till now? it would be great to collect infos about what works and what do not work - e.g. in the wiki - to offer infos about colinux+arch in any connection - i started a wiki page
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … %20colinux

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#14 2004-07-27 03:25:44

dp
Website

i just rebooted to arch and had trouble using any kde app (after using in windows, in colinux/debian kde apps) - i reealizd that i only rebooted instead of turning the machine  off - reproduced - if i  turnthe machine off totally (no power), no problem - but if i simply restart, trouble with some things

is it possible that things stay in ram and are tried to be used by the other sys??????? very strange behaviour

(the errors were "Can't start program pop3" and other similar troubles)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#15 2006-08-07 00:47:41

emuranch

mr_ed wrote:

It's too bad that coLinux doesn't work the other way around (Windows as the Guest rather than the Host).  sad

Maybe once ReactOS is further along something like that will be possible.  I'd use it constantly for those certain Windows apps that just refuse to run in Wine.

Board footer