You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-19 01:53:27

Mechanizoid

Lenovo Thinkpad 11e- hangs on reboot and gives beep code

I just installed Arch on a Lenovo Thinkpad 11e. The installation went fine, up until it was time to reboot. Instead of rebooting properly, the system hangs and gives me the beep code 1 short- 3 short- 3 short- 1 short. I found this Lenovo support page this says this code indicates "DIMM or system board". After that, the screen remains black and the power light stays on until I shut it down by holding the power button down. It does this both with my installed system and the bootable USB I used to install the system.

At first, I thought this might have been my fault (I pulled the USB key during the reboot), but it keeps doing it. The laptop boots Arch fine, and if I type `poweroff` it shuts down fine. It just won't reboot. I tried a different distro's USB key (KDE Neon) and it hung during reboot, but without the beep codes. I've also noticed that if I hold down the enter key to interrupt startup, the laptop does not beep (like it usually does) after I try rebooting Arch, but after trying to reboot the different USB key it did. It brings up the same BIOS menu as normal, just without the beep.

I'm not really sure how to go about troubleshooting this problem. I've considered it might be a BIOS issue, so I reset the BIOS back to defaults, but that had no effect. I have to other identical 11e's running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 without trouble, so I'm guessing I have not configured something correctly for my hardware.

Any advice on troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2019-02-19 02:27:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad 11e- hangs on reboot and gives beep code

Failing POST cannot have anything to do with any software configuration - no software is loaded yet.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-02-19 03:20:09

Mechanizoid

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad 11e- hangs on reboot and gives beep code

Trilby wrote:

Failing POST cannot have anything to do with any software configuration - no software is loaded yet.

I understand this, but I don't understand why the laptop fails POST only on reboot, and never fails on a cold boot, and why this issue only appeared after I installed Arch. That said it does appear to be a BIOS issue rather than something that happens when Arch is booted.

What made me think it might be a config issue is that software is loaded before reboot, and linux must tell that hardware to reboot. I read on this page that there is more than one way for Linux to reboot a PC, so I've suspected it might have something to do with this.

Has anyone had experience with a laptop failing POST only on reboot, but not cold start?

Board footer