You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-17 23:13:15

Shelbster

[SOLVED] PolicyKit1 KDE Agent asks for root password instead of user

I am trying to basically act like there is no root account and that there is no root password. So I created my account under the group wheel and allowed wheel sudo access. I cant get that to translate to gui applications. Whenever KDE asks me for passwords it asks for root password. I tried locking root as well, but PolicyKit still asks for root password. I even tried inputting my user password even though it was asking for root, but it didn't work. My user is in the wheel group, and sudo works just fine in the terminal, but any gui application that asks for a password asks for root. I tried googling but people either have the opposite problem (asked user password when they want to input root), or want to input no password at all. For security sake I want to be asked for a password, just not root's password. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited by Shelbster (2019-02-19 00:01:27)

#2 2019-02-18 07:44:46

seth

Re: [SOLVED] PolicyKit1 KDE Agent asks for root password instead of user

any gui application that asks for a password asks for root

Please make that more specific to rule out this is kdesu and then see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … identities and check the status of your polkit rules itr.

#3 2019-02-18 23:42:54

Shelbster

By "rule out this is kdesu" do you mean to set it to sudo as described here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sudo#kdesu ?
I set super-user-command=sudo on kdesurc. I also made sure that 50-default.rules is set to "wheel" and 49-rootpw_global.rules doesn't exist.

#4 2019-02-19 00:02:34

Shelbster

Problem solved. I wasn't set to administrator in the user accounts in the settings menu for KDE. Is there a reason why I wasn't set as administrator even though I was wheel, and even though all it does is add you to the group wheel (I checked by making a test user)?

#5 2019-02-19 08:07:13

seth

You didn't restart the shell (KDE) after addign yourself to the wheel group?

Fyi, sudo, su & polkit are different things and so are kdesu (kdesudo) & the KDE polkit agent.
By "rule out" I therefore meant to be sure what you're facing, in doubt by eg. checking the process list for kdesu entries.

#6 2019-02-19 13:43:24

Shelbster

I see what you mean about facing. And I added my user to wheel before installing plasma

Board footer