You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-19 14:36:18

Zzipo

Max OpenCL support for an AMD R7 370 (SI)

Hi,

If I go for mesa + amdgpu open source drivers for GPU + amdapp sdk opencl for CPU, I can work with a recent kernel, AMD OpenCL driver for CPU in OpenCL 1.2 and mesa (clover) for GPU, but in OpenCL 1.1. Also, CodeXL does not detect the GPU, therefore, it is useless.

If I try to install amdgpu-pro, It does not work. If I mix the opensource stack amdgpu + the opencl version of amdgpu-pro (like the AUR package opencl-amd AUR (en) - opencl-amd ), the system works, clinfo reports OpenCL 1.2 version, but when I try to use in a simple test (BinomialOption from AMDAPPSDK, but it can be any test) using it... it fails with CL_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY). So, it seems some sort of bug from the driver.

Seriously, I have been like 5 days trying to use OpenCL in Linux with no luck. Of course, I can use with mesa, but then it will be OpenCL 1.1 and no support from tools like CodeXL. How can be possible that AMD is supporting OpenCL but it is so complex to be usable. Impossible that a normal user would spend not even 1 hour configuring the system to be able to use OpenCL appropriately. I even tried fglrx, but it gave me even more problems.

Is there any well-known configuration that works? I mean, the range of kernel versions, xorg versions, amdgpu / amdgpu-pro stack... that just works.  I tried many things, but I am completely blind doing my tests. I read many forum posts, blogs, wikis, ... and I found more people lost.

I only know that 2 years ago, after spending a whole week of desperation like now, I achieved to make it working OpenCL 2.0 with the proprietary driver (I assume amdgpu-pro, although I have found traces of fglrx) and detected with CodeXL. During the next months I was using it, both in CPU and GPU, although the desktop suffered some glitches/graphic artifacts, but I could survive them. Then, a year later (around may2018), with some update, the system had some troubles, and I decided to revert everything to the open source version. No more glitches, but also no more OpenCL. Now, a year later, again, I am trying to achieve the maximum compatibility with OpenCL.

PS: Can be moved to NC.

Last edited by Zzipo (2019-02-19 14:51:39)

Board footer