You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-19 12:02:28

mmdamin
Website

[SOLVED] enabling nouveau without uninstalling nvidia drivers

Hi.
I have created two entries in my bootloader, one start graphic.target (I call it Arch Desktop) and another starts multi-user.target (Arch Console).
I have install nvidia-390xx for gaming, also. when I boot in Arch Console, the Linux Console starts and it doesn't have a good resolution, But when I was in nouveau it had a better quality in linux console.
I have also searched and I found something about drm, so I installed nvidia-390xx-dkms and enabled drm, ran mkinitcpio and add nvidia-drm.modeset=1 to args of Arch Console, but still I have that low quality console. how can I make it best as when I was using nouveau?
Is it possible to use nouveau in Arch Console instead of nvidia?

Last edited by mmdamin (2019-02-20 13:22:45)

#2 2019-02-19 13:25:37

seth

Re: [SOLVED] enabling nouveau without uninstalling nvidia drivers

You cannot use nouveau and nvidia at the same time (what you actually intend here)

As for the console resolution: it's possible to force-define that, but the nvidia blob does officially not support non-VGA consoles (what is unrelated to DRM) and the parallel use of a framebuffer console (or just many of them) and a display server is prone to cause weird bugs. Usually ppl. struggle to prevent that because you'll get a framebuffer from UEFI.

#3 2019-02-19 15:02:47

mmdamin
Website

is it possible to enable nvidia only for graphics.target and use nouveau for other? or disable nouveau on graphics.target to use nvidia?

#4 2019-02-19 15:08:01

seth

You could conditionally blacklist the modules when booting.
Switching the kernel modules at runtime won't work (or at least be trivial) - unless this is oc. an optimus system and the console runs on the intel chip. (But then you'd not face your situation anyway)

What's the usecase here? Why do you need a high-res framebuffer console?

#5 2019-02-19 15:32:44

mmdamin
Website

seth wrote:

You could conditionally blacklist the modules when booting.
Switching the kernel modules at runtime won't work (or at least be trivial) - unless this is oc. an optimus system and the console runs on the intel chip. (But then you'd not face your situation anyway)

thank you, I'll look for enabling nouveau and putting it in blacklist.

seth wrote:

What's the usecase here? Why do you need a high-res framebuffer console?

just for fun, if sometime i decided to use console instead of desktop, I have a better environment. nouveau also have a clear and smoth font. also if it would possible to use nouveau for framebuffer
and nvidia for xorg, i would have ahigh quality splash screen with plymouth.

Last edited by mmdamin (2019-02-20 13:24:43)

#6 2019-02-19 17:35:07

mich41

One relatively low effort way to achieve this could be by creating a custom initramfs which preloadeds nouveau before udev gets a chance to load nvidia.
Arbitrary modules can be loaded using the MODULES array.
You would need to figure out how the fallback image is created and add another one.

edit:
Or blacklist both modules so that neither is loaded automatically and write some script which loads the correct one depending on target runlevel early in the boot process.

Last edited by mich41 (2019-02-19 17:40:00)

#7 2019-02-19 17:47:19

mmdamin
Website

mich41 wrote:

One relatively low effort way to achieve this could be by creating a custom initramfs which preloadeds nouveau before udev gets a chance to load nvidia.
Arbitrary modules can be loaded using the MODULES array.
You would need to figure out how the fallback image is created and add another one.

edit:
Or blacklist both modules so that neither is loaded automatically and write some script which loads the correct one depending on target runlevel early in the boot process.

good idea, thank you. but i think it will make startup process long.
it's no matter how my system starts, also I installed awesome for sometimes I want a lightweight environment, instead of using linux console.

Last edited by mmdamin (2019-02-20 13:23:41)

Board footer