You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 13:04:45

Pulec

Desktop environment aka kiosk for touchscreen monitor

I got a hold of of 24" dell touchscreen monitor, works great out of the box. I wanna mount it on the shelf in the kitchen for roommates and guest to use it, mainly for music, maybe some quick googling, general web use.

I have a Athlon 200GE with integrated Radeon GPU with 16 gigs of ram and some wd green m.2 SSD hooked to it, all on B450 mobo, I might try some VM with external GPU passtrough, if this CPU can take it. OS is arch since I might use the PC as a 'home server' (arch for server is fiiiine, running it on my VPS for years now, daily use, no issue).

Now for the desktop environment.
As I am using i3 myself I would like to go for something minimal as well. From what I tried Gnome by default or KDE with some tweaks is well made for touchscreens, but it's kiiiind of bloaty (sorry packagers). It isn't the issue tho, I can live with that. I haven't set up some virtual keyboard yet, but I think it will require some tinkering in order for it to work 'as well as on Android'. (Android itself might work well, but arch with qemu and Android is ineffective overkill).

So what are the alternatives? Google searches for Linux kiosk didn't get me any idea, so I am thinking some DIY solution like: minimal xorg-server or i3 and some kind of web-app or QT gui program in python or whatever would work best and write myself own homescreen with launcher for a browser, music, maps, cooking.

Anyone solved something similar? Any idea is welcomed. Thanks.

Edit: HW typo and info added

Last edited by Pulec (2019-02-21 13:14:39)

IRC: pulec

#2 2019-02-21 13:25:31

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Desktop environment aka kiosk for touchscreen monitor

Just launch the browser of your choice in a stand-alone X session and use its home page with links to your applications?

This will obviously only work if all of your intended applications are (or could be) web-based.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer