You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 23:51:03

Elijah Lynn

Cannot reboot w/laptop lid closed, ext. disp. black w/single _ (video)

I get a blackscreen with a blinking _ when rebooting system with laptop lid closed. I am not seeing anything in the logs. I am on a Thinkpad X1 Yoga. How would I go about debugging this?

I really want to be able to reboot the system without having to open the lid.

Here is a video of the behavior https://photos.app.goo.gl/idNZYqsxNDtBjine8

Last edited by Elijah Lynn (2019-02-21 23:55:45)

#2 2019-02-22 00:35:18

mountaineerbr
Banned

Re: Cannot reboot w/laptop lid closed, ext. disp. black w/single _ (video)

I had other type of problems with my laptop lid closed and power settings, including the laptop going to sleep.
I solved those configuring laptop lid actions in

/etc/systemd/logind.conf

BUT your porblem is other, I am most sure.
My Dell laptop will not shutdown if I issue a command, for example, shutdown -h now and close the Lid, too!
It goes directly to sleep instead of properly shutting down... I think it does not recover afterwards, but I cannot recall it completely..
So I always shutdown the computer completely before shutting the screen... Just a little bothersome but I got used to it and never notice this habit anymore.

That verbose shutdown ... I cannot read one line, because the image is so blurred!
But that verbose may help a lot or give you more hints... Try recording again the shutdown and checking the last few messages printed to the screen..
If the last message is something like "Reached Target Shutdown ", that would mean shutdown was OK...

I think the problem may be due to lid knob firmware, maybe that will only work with Windows... I do not know, in my case, if I can actually issue shutdown cmd in Windows and then close the laptop & see if it really shuts down ( i think not! , though can't remember this specific procedure with windows -- I barely uses windows).

A few other things come to my mind, maybe the computer will not shutdown because the video cable is plugged..
What if you remove that cable during shutdown? Will the laptop power off? If that same procedure works with Windows, then just ignore my comment...

Hopefully someone can direct you to a solid solution.. Cheers!

#3 2019-02-22 00:57:46

Elijah Lynn

Thanks for the ideas. To clarify, the video is after shutdown already was successful, the Lenovo splash screen the video starts with is the beginning of the boot.

#4 2019-02-22 08:04:56

seth

That's an issue w/ your graphical target (gdm, sddm, …), please post a journal of that boot and if you're using X11 as display server, your Xorg log.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#General

Board footer