You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-24 02:00:41

linusvanpelt

Lenovo X1 Yoga OLED Display - display goes black, requires power reset

I've had Arch on my laptop for maybe 12-18 months?  (Off topic:  is there a way to get the date when Arch was first installed?)

For about the last month or so, the display will go black and not recover.  It is always after a period of inactivity.  I haven't configured automatic screen lock, although I sometimes manually lock it via i3.  So it happens whether the screen has been locked or not.

I've tried Cntl-Alt-F1/2/.../7, but nothing displays.  My only recourse is to cycle power.

I suspect an update caused the issue, since the laptop was running fine for so long.

Can I get some pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue?

#2 2019-02-24 09:57:24

CarbonChauvinist
Website

Re: Lenovo X1 Yoga OLED Display - display goes black, requires power reset

linusvanpelt wrote:

I've had Arch on my laptop for maybe 12-18 months?  (Off topic:  is there a way to get the date when Arch was first installed?)

This should get you what you're looking for:

$ head /var/log/pacman.log
linusvanpelt wrote:

For about the last month or so, the display will go black and not recover.  It is always after a period of inactivity.  I haven't configured automatic screen lock, although I sometimes manually lock it via i3.  So it happens whether the screen has been locked or not.

I've tried Cntl-Alt-F1/2/.../7, but nothing displays.  My only recourse is to cycle power.

I suspect an update caused the issue, since the laptop was running fine for so long.

Can I get some pointers on how to troubleshoot this issue?

First step is to post a full journal from one of the affected boots. After experiencing the issue and forcing the reboot, run

sudo journalctl -b -1

for example to get the full journal from the previous boot (i.e. -1, -2 for two boots ago, -3 for three boots ago, etc.) and then post to ptpb or some other accepted pastebin site and share the link. Make sure that your output is not truncated by any pagers etc. What power management do you have installed/configured/enabled? How are you handling sleep/resumes?

Last edited by CarbonChauvinist (2019-02-24 09:58:32)

"the wind-blown way, wanna win? don't play"

Board footer