You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-07 21:41:32

MasterChief1234

Convert vob to avi

Is there software I could use to convert videos in .vob format into .avi or another simular video format ? Thanks

#2 2006-08-08 02:29:47

The_Nerd
Website

Re: Convert vob to avi

sounds like dvd to .avi conversion to me.. but even if it is we'll assume your dvd's are not copyrighted and there are no legal issues....

that aside, dvd::rip and acidrip both should do the trick, i'd download dvd::rip first and give it a shot, though i didnt have much luck and i changed to acidrip now and havent looked back since.

dvd::rip is in extra i believe and acidrip in community so enable the repos and give them a shot!

#3 2006-08-08 14:04:07

waltm

sure, use mencoder or ffmpeg.

something like this works for me to encode vob (or other video file) to something playable on my phillips divx player:

mencoder 
-vf harddup 
-vf-add smartblur=.6:-.5:0,unsharp=l5x5:.8:c5x5:.4 
-xvidencopts fixed_quant=4:profile=dxnhtntsc 
-lameopts cbr:br=128:aq=0:vol=1 
-oac mp3lame 
-ovc xvid 
infile.vob -o outfile.avi

Might want to consider changing fixed_quant=4 to bitrate=900 for a smaller file.

Blank DVD's have gotten so cheap, to me its not worth the effort to encode to something that fits on a CD anymore.

Good Luck

#4 2006-08-08 15:24:11

smoon
Website

waltm wrote:

sure, use mencoder or ffmpeg.

something like this works for me to encode vob (or other video file) to something playable on my phillips divx player:

mencoder 
-vf harddup 
-vf-add smartblur=.6:-.5:0,unsharp=l5x5:.8:c5x5:.4 
-xvidencopts fixed_quant=4:profile=dxnhtntsc 
-lameopts cbr:br=128:aq=0:vol=1 
-oac mp3lame 
-ovc xvid 
infile.vob -o outfile.avi

Might want to consider changing fixed_quant=4 to bitrate=900 for a smaller file.

Blank DVD's have gotten so cheap, to me its not worth the effort to encode to something that fits on a CD anymore.

Good Luck

The nice thing about backing up your DVDs to a file on your super-big harddrive is that you don't have to juggle with discs anymore. And if you use something like GCstar you can start watching your movies out of this app.

To get back on topic: HandBrake is by far the fastest DVD ripper/encoder-thing I found. It encodes a DVD to a Mpeg4/MP3 avi within 50 minutes (twice the time for two-pass encoding) whereas Winki The Ripper needed more than 12 hours and OGMRip something like four hours for the same DVD (and both results from Winki and OGMRip were unusable!).

#5 2006-08-08 15:39:04

waltm

To me the nice thing about ripping DVD's to wind up with a disc that plays just the movie not the previews, legal notices, and it keeps the CPU from being idle.  Idle CPU's are prone to mischief.

Board footer