You are not logged in.

#6501 2019-02-19 17:40:16

mmdamin
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

schard wrote:
mmdamin wrote:

when I find out I need to install arch online, I got sad a little, because I didn't have enough charge, but I found another way in this site that works offline, so I did it. that was surprising for me to I can install it by copying files by hand.

I don't know how you installed Arch, but it does not sound to me as if you followed the official installation guide. If that's true, you won't get a lot of support here.
Anyway, welcome.

It was on Arch wiki, after partitioning and mounting /mnt I ran cp -ax / /mnt then chroot.
also I have pacman -Syu since I've installed and each time I got some updates.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … stallation

Last edited by mmdamin (2019-02-20 12:35:02)

#6502 2019-02-23 19:29:35

bundito

Greetings from Chicago!

Relative newbie to Arch; used Manjaro for a while before this, so pacman and the AUR and other things are semi-familiar.

I'm entirely self-taught; been doing "this" for about 35 years (I *am* a greybeard).

Currently, I'm quasi-retired (federal disability) and been spending the last few years resurrecting and dusting off my tech skills. I'm a part-time developer and bugfixer for KDE, although I've been AWOL from there for the past few months - a few personal things. I'll get back to it sooner rather than later.

I'm truly enjoying my time in Arch; the "DIY" approach is very appealing to me, even if it eats up more time.

I work on a consumer-level Acer laptop that was intended solely as a Windows machine. In fact, I have to keep a Windows partition around because the only way to update the BIOS is through a Windows utility. That, and I can play more Steam games. smile  I've got a Raspberry Pi hooked to my TV as a Steam Link device and it works better than expected. I even found a used Steam Controller. Yes, I collect gadgets.

I've got something like 15TB of storage in my house, between two Frankenstein servers (running Ubuntu), two NAS'es, this laptop (1.5TB), I forgot how many TB each for the PS Pro and the Xbox One X. I'm old enough to remember when this much storage was unthinkable.

So now I'm going to wander around the forums and ask possibly stupid questions.

-bundito

"All that's left of me is slight insanity / What's on the right, I don't know." - Bob Mould

#6503 2019-02-24 19:42:34

schulidr

Hello everyone.  Relative newbie to Linux and obviously Arch.  Can't say enough about the wiki so I decided to join the forums after I was finally able to finish and install.  Looking to learn and make some friends.

#6504 2019-02-25 09:42:55

dlwilson88

Switched to Linux about 2 years ago, attempted  to install Arch Linux about a year ago, but was unsuccessful, Spent the beter part of the first year and a half using Mint and Debian learning all I could about Linux and how it ticks...

Fast forward 2 years and felt I was ready to make the switch.

Well I can now say I have the start of a fully functioning Arch Linux distro up and running after only two attempts.. (Used rEFInd the first time around w/o installing GRUB, went back after failed reboot added GRUB and  the second reboot was a success!!) 

I now realize the huge benefit/potential of having complete control over how and what you want to install on your own personalized version of Linux.

Arch just makes sense, not having to do an update and having Windows dictate what they want you to have installed and or undoing your choices is awesome.

I foresee a long and rewarding future learning all I can about Arch and it's many benefits!! big_smile big_smile

Think twice code once!!

#6505 2019-02-26 21:31:51

danieloguerra

Hello everyone,

I am relative newbie to Arch right now. Started using Linux 2 years ago, tried to switch to Arch last semester but only passed through a LOT of stress, specially because of a non-newbie friendly documentation for Arch Linux and Windows Dual Boot. Seriously, I only manage to do so because I really dig for information. And no, ArchWiki for Dual Boot wasn't really helpful since it required some knowledge beyond Unix familiarity. Right now, I am using Arch for about 2 months with all configured and literally 20 minutes ago I've installed my first AUR package (which isn't and shouldn't be a big deal but still....).
Well, I guess it is about that. Oh, and I only decided to this migration from Ubuntu to Arch because of a friend whom used Arch by the time (now he is on OpenBSD), and stayed with Arch because of productivity and community.

Looking forward to be of service to this community some day big_smile big_smile

#6506 2019-02-28 21:13:07

aRkedos

Hi Guys,

I am fumbling around with Arch Linux. I already managed to get a simple installation up and running and learned a lot in the process.

I started using Linux two years ago and used mainly Manjaro. But I wanted to get into the real thing. So I bought a used Laptop and began to tinker around with Arch. I will reinstall it a few time and try different set ups and hope I can learn more about Arch and Linux in general.

The Wiki is a real blast even if you use another distribution.

Greetings
aRkedos

#6507 2019-03-02 19:10:56

DIsaacs

Hello everyone ! I am somewhat newbie to Linux / Arch. Looking forward to learn.

#6508 2019-03-06 23:57:46

MaKr07

Hello everyone.

I'm absolutely new to linux and started directly with Arch past october. After a lot frustration and help from a friend, I got my first everyday-linux-distribution up and running and I felt literally in love with the customization of Arch. But in december I booted windows for the first time after months without it and a huge windows update destroyed my Arch system. Then I made a pause due to limited time and finally decided 2 weeks ago to give it another shot. Now I'm really pleased with my system and I think I'll never go back to windows.
Anyways the community and the wiki of this distribution is something really special for its own. Can't recommend it enough to friends to try linux and specifically this distribution.

Regards
MaKr

#6509 2019-03-07 09:13:49

brainpaste

Greetings.

Tried installing Arch 2 years ago, a little after trying Ubuntu, Linuxmint and Lubuntu. Couldn't quite grasp it and have been using Lubuntu ever since as I found it to be the one that fits me the most, but not quite, as I grow. So here I am, looking forward to learn.

Last edited by brainpaste (2019-03-07 09:15:19)

#6510 2019-03-07 13:23:45

is0lated_space

Hello from UK.

I have very little experience with forums so apologies now for not understanding etiquette.

I have been using Linux (Ubuntu flavours) for a couple of years but recently i have been interested in learning the ins and outs of the Linux system and it was suggested i tried Arch Linux. I found it very challenging to install but i have enjoyed the process.
I managed to install the system without asking for help, just literally scouted the forums and the wiki.
Although my first attempt was by following a "install Arch Linux the easy way" type website. Big mistake.
It took me a while to overcome some of the problems but now i feel that i should join the forum and dive deeper into the Arch way.
I do admire the tough love approach especially to new comers who sometimes give up at the first hurdle, reading some of the comments from experienced users was quite amusing. I get the most satisfaction when i complete challenging tasks and i am grateful for the people behind Arch Linux and the forum documentation. It is a well and truly the best way to learn Linux from my experience.

Thank you again.

#6511 2019-03-07 19:27:52

pHfactor

I'm Paul, currently from Northern California. New to Arch, not to Linux. Semi-retired with work history in computers and networks. I was a Netware CNE at one time, so that should date me. Ran a UNIX-based BBS system in the early '90s. I'm a musician by training and inclination. I have both worked in and built music studios. Transitioned from analog to digital (mostly in the OSX/MacOS domain) and have periodically dipped into Linux to review its viability for professional audio. In the past I have installed and tried Red Hat, SUSE, Mandrake (remember Mandrake?), Gentoo, Manjaro, and of course Ubuntu.

This on-again off-again relationship with Linux has taken me through vast periods of forgetting and relearning, resulting in a sense that my knowledge is patchy. As I learn, I will diligently read thru the wonderful collection of wikis and forum-based expertise before asking a question, but I'm still quite likely to fall into a hole in my understanding. So bear with me.

I currently run a hackintosh for most of my music work, and recently rebuilt it to incorporate a second SSD and set it up to dual boot Linux. I was unhappy with the latency I was getting with vanilla Ubuntu, even running the low-latency kernel. So the idea is to build a system that I have a better understanding of, and that has the flexibility and resources to allow me to optimize it. So far this has worked beautifully. Even without a realtime kernel, I'm getting lower latencies with higher resolutions. So far so good.

#6512 2019-03-09 00:11:53

skinny852

Hello.

I have spent the past year acquainting myself with Linux, mostly Debian-family distributions. I have decided to use Arch because:

1. The Debian wiki is blocked while using my VPN.

2. The Arch wiki is far superior smile.

3. I feel that, given the DIY ethos of Arch, I will (be forced to) learn more about a Linux operating system.

I know this will probably be quite painful, but I'm ready to learn.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

#6513 2019-03-09 00:55:31

sombreroman55

Hello everyone. I'm coming over from Debian to Arch and have really enjoyed it so far. I plan to lurk for a while and hopefully be able to contribute to the community someday soon.

#6514 2019-03-09 18:51:26

undercover1

Awebb wrote:
undercover1 wrote:

Hi!
I love to learn Arch

Let's see if you'll learn to love Arch.

I just might ^^

#6515 2019-03-10 01:05:54

Zod

Hello World!

Been a network engineer for awhile, my first cert was as a mcp Window NT Server 3.51 (that should date me a bit). Been doing linux off and on as needed, mostly Red Hat. I decided to get back into Linux recently and fiddled around with a few flavors but kept getting bored. I found Arch and was told it was hard...so here I am!

I posted a screenie of my desktop in the appropriate thread in case your interested.

Last edited by Zod (2019-04-07 23:03:28)

#6516 2019-03-10 14:06:25

malonso

Hello everyone!
I was using manjaro for a while. now I use arch and i love it.
Hope to can help the community some day

#6517 2019-03-12 16:26:27

geekgory

Greetings From France.

Using Linux for about a year (mostly mint) i got in a spot where i  felt like i wasn't learning anything and at the same time i had a lot to learn. So i decided to jump to arch because is a DIY distro and i will learn a lot with it.

The rolling release philosophy also enters in consideration in the choice.

thank you for reading it.

Using Arch Since Feb 26th 2019.

#6518 2019-03-13 06:54:56

felinae98

Greetings From China.
I have tried to install Archlinux for many many times, and now I'm using Manjaro.
I love aur and pacman so much. I wish I can install arch successfully

#6519 2019-03-13 19:40:27

skinny852

felinae98 wrote:

Greetings From China.
I have tried to install Archlinux for many many times, and now I'm using Manjaro.
I love aur and pacman so much. I wish I can install arch successfully

It may help to install Arch in a virtual machine, if you have not tried that already. Using a VM can allow you to mess up with minimal consequences and quickly start all over again.

Also, and I know this is obvious, but there is a Chinese translation of the Arch wiki in case the English is difficult to follow. English is my first language and I can still find it hard to follow what the wiki is saying smile

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

#6520 2019-03-14 21:51:03

bbus

Hello!

I love clean installs, and Arch's dedication to KISS caught my attention. I've done multiple installs over the last year, learning bits and pieces, and getting a little further each time, before I mess up something, and have to reformat the partition. Eye-opening when I realized I could boot from the live-iso to fix broken configs. That was middle of last year. Still don't know if my current install will be *the* permanent install, but hopefully I'll get it soon.

I have used Ubuntu for a while now in robotics research, but can't stand how the software in native repos (even some PPAs) are always out-dated. I really appreciate the up-to-date status of the main Arch repo.

Excited to be joining the community.

#6521 2019-03-16 19:58:45

celticllama

Hello everyone! Greetings from Wilmington, NC!

I recently switched to Arch after a few years of messing around with other distros and getting sick of Windows 10. What drew me to Arch was its philosophy, only including what you absolutely need, and being able to configure your system any way you like. I had a few hiccups with the install process but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and ended up being a fantastic learning experience.

Other distros I've tried include Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Fedora, Antergos, and Manjaro. All of these distros were nice but they never really felt like they were "mine", leading me to Arch.

I'm really excited to be here and hope to make friends with many of you!

#6522 2019-03-18 12:55:44

samip537
Website

Hello everybody! Greetings from Finland!

I'm an University of applied sciences student, area is in I.T.

I was a long time Ubuntu user, but now that I have found Arch, I like it way better.
The package system for one is waaaay better.

I have used: Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuse, FreeBSD
I have tried: Gentoo (Pain to install)

#6523 2019-03-19 07:37:59

ntsereg

Hello from Prague.

Experienced senior principal lead developer of Arch here.

Just kidding :lol . Using Linux few years for personal use.

Looking forward to meet few people from Prague for hang out and share those "principal" experiences. Currently working on confluence and jira for personal use.

Keep going,
ntsereg

#6524 2019-03-23 15:55:18

noahares

Hello Everyone!

Switched to Arch from Ubuntu/Windows Dualboot when I built my PC last week. So far I am loving the process of configuring it the way I want and see what it is capable of. The Wiki and Forums are amazing resources that convinced me to go Arch.
Greetings from Karlsruhe,
noahares

#6525 2019-03-24 02:56:02

GeneralUncertainty

Hey gang,

I've been a desktop user of Debian-related systems for about twenty years - meaning I have an enormous amount of experience in not doing much in terms of admin, but plenty in watching printer drivers and screensavers evolve, and timing Debian's release dates in tree years.

I moved to Arch after tiring of waiting for Debian to move the dependencies of niche software into backports so I could run a two year old version of some programs that get updated monthly in Arch. And Ubuntu just not being very good. (Burn.)

Anyway, here's to a fruitful time with Arch.

Board footer