You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-09 03:42:45

Cloud_Ninja

Help with making proper aur package

I've written a couple AUR packages that i'm 95% sure are absolutely horrible. They're mercurial based packages and i'm not sure how to go about properly maintaining them.

The aur package in question

I'm mainly wondering if there are any significant problems with it and how to solve them.

#2 2019-03-09 12:47:01

loqs

Re: Help with making proper aur package

srcdir="src"

causes

Starting build()...
/usr/share/makepkg/util/util.sh: line 75: cd: src: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Failed to change to directory src
    Aborting...
epoch=()

Please remove empty variables

pkgver() {
	mkdir -p ${srcdir}/${pkgver}
	cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}
        echo $(hg identify -i)
}

I do not understand why the pkgver function creates a directory that is never used.
VCS_package_guidelines#The_pkgver()_function suggests a different format for mercurial.

mkdir -p "../pkg/${pkgname}/usr/bin"

I would suggest

install -dm 755 "${pkgdir}/usr/bin"

and a similar change for the following cp call.

license=('GPL3')

Are lib/glad.o and lib/libclient_protos.a GPL3?  If so why are they not provided in source form?

Last edited by loqs (2019-03-09 12:47:35)

#3 2019-03-09 14:36:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I second all the above, but would really add emphasis to two points: overriding srcdir settings, and ignoring pkgdir are really bad - those absolutely must go.  One additional point is that the package name must end in -hg for mecurial packages.

It looks like the same comments all apply to every one of your AUR packages.

For future reference, please feel free to post PKGBUILD drafts on the forums for feedback - please do not submit PKGBUILDs to the AUR that you suspect are not ready.  As it is, now you'll have to submit deletion or rename requests for every single one of them and resubmit the proper PKGBUILDs.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-03-09 14:39:06)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2019-03-09 19:37:23

Cloud_Ninja

Trilby wrote:

For future reference, please feel free to post PKGBUILD drafts on the forums for feedback - please do not submit PKGBUILDs to the AUR that you suspect are not ready.  As it is, now you'll have to submit deletion or rename requests for every single one of them and resubmit the proper PKGBUILDs.

For that, i'm mostly using the current packages as just testing, but eventually the software (written by my friend) will have releases and i'll be making seperate -hg packages for these.

Thank you both for your input, it's heavily appreciated.

Board footer