You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-12 19:38:24

myk.robinson

[SOLVED] -Firefox, Clippings extension, Gnome, Wayland

I am running Arch with Gnome Shell as my DE. Wayland is the compositor.

Firefox is my default browser, and I have installed the Firefox extension "Clippings." I use that to be able to hit a keypress combination to append a signature in anything that accepts text in Firefox. I mostly use it for entering time entries in my compay's PSA/RMM platform.

I notice that in Arch, I cannot use the keypress as I would expect. For example, the normal command would be to press Alt+Shift+Y. This brings up a dialog, and from there, I press single key assigned to the "clip" i wish to insert, and it adds it to the focused text field. It works fine in Windows, and it worked fine when I was running Antergos on the same laptop. There are no reported compatibility issues with Firefox and the extension, and I don't assume that Gnome is the problem, since I used Gnome in Antergos. My assumption is that something in Wayland may be causing the anomaly.

On to my question, I suppose I just need some help thinking this through and isolating a possible root cause so i can seek help in the right place.

any of you willing to install the extension and test with Gnome/Wayland to see if you can duplicate the problem? It still works from the right click menu in the text field, but the keyboard shortcut is a huge time saver, and I'd prefer to be able to restore the function I historically use.

If any further information is needed to help you help me, just let me know what to get for you.

Here's the extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … clippings/

Last edited by myk.robinson (2019-04-07 00:23:50)

#2 2019-03-13 02:25:17

Swiggles

Re: [SOLVED] -Firefox, Clippings extension, Gnome, Wayland

I tested it and it is working for me with Gnome. I checked with X and Wayland, but no difference. So unfortunately I can't reproduce your problem.

#3 2019-03-13 02:26:39

myk.robinson

Swiggles wrote:

I tested it and it is working for me with Gnome. I checked with X and Wayland, but no difference. So unfortunately I can't reproduce your problem.

Cool, thanks for testing. I may just try purging the extension and reading. Maybe something in the config is corrupted.

#4 2019-03-13 02:43:12

Swiggles

Just to make sure. Did you check the options? You can uncheck the shortcut and select a key. I am sure you are aware, but sometimes we forget the first step. :-)
Disabling and enabling options and/or the addon itself could help. Do you have a conflicting shortcut in Gnome?

#5 2019-03-14 01:33:18

myk.robinson

Swiggles wrote:

Just to make sure. Did you check the options? You can uncheck the shortcut and select a key. I am sure you are aware, but sometimes we forget the first step. :-)
Disabling and enabling options and/or the addon itself could help. Do you have a conflicting shortcut in Gnome?

Nah, it's not conflicting with any other presses. the dialog launches, it just doesn't paste in the text sad Tonight I purged all the config folders to fully reset Firefox and try again, but same results. I have no idea what's causing it. I am using the same handful of extensions I always has, it just is not working in my arch install for whatever reason.

#6 2019-03-14 01:42:44

myk.robinson

#7 2019-03-14 12:46:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

Do you run wayland firefox or xwayland firefox?

#8 2019-03-14 12:50:14

myk.robinson

V1del wrote:

Do you run wayland firefox or xwayland firefox?

I'm not sure if this is the "right" answer. The Firefox I have installed, according to pacman and pamac, is just called "Firefox (firefox) "

https://i.imgur.com/JXw8Ai1.png

#9 2019-04-07 00:23:18

myk.robinson

Well, i don't have a clue what changed but after recent updates, it's all working just fine. Wonder if some of updates regarding Wayland and Firefox have "corrected" the issue.

marking this as solved

Board footer