You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-13 21:30:01

JeanLucJ

[Solved] Annoying regression in Files / Gnome

Hello,

I have a Arch installation where I heavily use mount bind in my fstab (Documents, Download, Movies, and so on are directories mounted that way).
Before monday, the display in Files (under a standard Gnome install which next to no config) was fine.

Since monday, all of the mounted partition appear as removable drive in Files (ex-Nautilus), which makes a long list that has no use and is quite annoying.
I saw no patch note or anything related to this.

Two questions :
1/ I'm quite new to Arch... should I wait that something is fixed? Is a downgrade of the package (probably gvfs something) a good/bad idea? I don't really know is such small regressions are regular and quickly fixed or should be reported once I find the guilty package smile
2/ Is it possible that there is in fact no bug, but that I should try to remove config files somewhere? Again, being quite new to Arch, I may have bad habits from Debian where such things ... well did not happen. So I'm wondering what the best line of action is

Last edited by JeanLucJ (2019-03-15 22:02:52)

#2 2019-03-13 21:48:45

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Annoying regression in Files / Gnome

I'm going to take a guess that this isn't a bug at all, it's just a 'new feature' from the Gnome devs.

It won't get fixed or reverted as the new behaviour is what they were aiming for. Bind mounts have always had wonky behaviour in file-managers IMHO smile

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2019-03-14 00:16:56

veridiam

do you have

x-gvfs-show

in the mount options?

#4 2019-03-15 22:08:39

JeanLucJ

veridiam wrote:

do you have

x-gvfs-show

in the mount options?

No, and as stated, it was working before a recent update.
OTOH, x-gvfs-hide does work.

It should not be necessary, since :
- The mount of the main partition is not /media or such directory used (to my knowledge) for removable medias
- The standard behaviour should be not to show the bind mounts unless explicitly specified with x-gvfs-show

I'm not sure if it's a bug or an intended feature.
Many past bug reports are on this subject (and, in the past, glib may have been the package causing this bug, not gfvs*) and I'm not finding any patch notes clarifiying the subject.
Yet, there seem to be some significant updates to GNOME, so all that may be done on purpose.

I'll leave matter as it is, using x-gvfs-hide.

Last edited by JeanLucJ (2019-03-15 22:10:18)

Board footer